Chapter 2-1 Defensive Driving Skills
Defensive Driving-a method of driving that emphasizes anticipating and avoiding danger on the roadway.
Important Skills needed:
1. Knowledge a. Operating devices and controls b. Traffic laws, signs and signals
2. Preparation a. Physically and mentally ready
3. Awareness a. allows you to stop potentially dangerous situations early b. detect indications of trouble before it happens
4. Anticipation a. expect the unexpected
5. Good judgment a. Choosing the safest and most effective option available.
b. Avoid potential hazards
1. the type of road your on 2. the weather 3. visibility 4. vehicle condition 5. traffic conditions 6. other roadway users
Keep in Mind:
Needs Constant practice, Actively prepare for potential hazards, Requires many actions to operate a motor vehicle
Chapter 2-2 Managing Time, Space and Visibility
Following Distance-the distance between your vehicle and the vehicle directly ahead of you, you can significantly reduce the chance of becoming involved in a collision.
3 Second rule-check your following distance, pick a fixed object ahead, such as a tree, sign, or telephone pole. Count the number of seconds that pass between the time that the car ahead of you passes this object and the time that you pass it.
Recommendation: Increase the rule if you are a new driver or driving in poor conditions
Space Cushion- when you keep an empty space between you and other cars.
Tailgating: when you are driving way to close to the car ahead of you.
Hand Signals are hand signals
Up with left arm= right turn
Left arm straight out=left turn
Down with left arm=STOP