Chemistry Week 6
Make sure to take notes on the videos
Day 1: Watch the Video
- Video: Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket in Hand
- In the first video you will see what NOT TO DO!
- Do you remember the paper you colored the first quarter of all the wrong things to do in chemistry? As you watch this video list everything he is doing wrong, it’s a long list, and include them with this weeks report.
- So we started with the idea of what not to do, so onto the ideas of what to do. In this video the man is making a rocket.
- Video: Baking Soda and Vinegar Rocket with Steve Spangler
- Watch the video then answer the question.
- Did he use alchemy or science in determining the quantity of vinegar and baking soda, explain your answer?
- Give three examples of how engineering and chemistry came together in this presentation.
- What type of a reaction did you see?
- What were the products of this reaction?
Day 2: Watch the Video(s)
- We know that an acid base reaction always gives us CO2 and water.
- Go online and try to find what the third product of vinegar and baking soda is.
- What can you do with this third product?
- Video: How to unclog a kitchen sink using baking soda and vinegar!!!
Day 3: Activity 1
Video: Easily restore headlight with baking soda and vinegar
- Watch this video and then try it on one of the cars you have, this works best if you have an older car.
- Show me the before and after picture.
- He thought that the baking soda was doing the work but what compound was actually doing the work.
- How do you know?
- Include in your weekly report
Day 4: Activity 2
So we know that chemical reactions can be used for a lot of things in our world.
I have shown you videos of cleaning headlights, hair and sinks. I have shown you using it for fuel.
In an email, please send me the answers to these 3 questions:
- There are three parts that come from the acid base reaction in mixing baking soda and vinegar: water, CO2 and _______________.
- How could you use the reaction if you were on a deserted island and the plane you were on had cases of baking soda and vinegar?
- Why would knowing the balanced equation matter to you?
- Why would it matter?
Day 5: Repeat of last weeks work!!!
- I got this from almost no one last week.
- Can you do it? Please let me know this week.
- If you need to, go back and try it with last weeks videos.
- Look up the formula for vinegar and the formula for baking soda
- Can you do the acid base reaction to figure out how to balance this equation?
- So, if you can get the formula can you name the products?
- Remember its an acid base reaction so you should know 2 of the 3 products.
Let me know how you did at: email@example.com
Make sure to include your name, hour, and week 6.
Your done for the week
Make sure I get your work by next Saturday