Air and Weather
The Air and Weather Module that we use in class consists of four sequential investigations, each designed to introduce concepts in earth science. The investigation provide opportunities for young students to explore the natural world by using simple tools to observe and monitor change.
In Mrs. Kolk’s class, the first graders are expected to:
- Experience air as a material that takes up space and can be compressed into a smaller space.
- Observe the force of air pressure pushing on objects and materials.
- Observe and compare how moving air interacts with objects.
- Observe and describe changes that occur in weather over time.
- Become familiar with instruments used by meteorologists to monitor air and weather conditions.
- Organize and communicate observations through drawing and writing.
- Acquire vocabulary associated with properties of air and weather conditions.