There are many resources describing how to keep your children safe online. Below are important facts about internet safety as well as additional resources.
- Keep the computer in an area that is often used by the family (i.e. family room, dining room, living room).
- Communicate with your child(ren).
- Reinforce the importance of not sharing personal information with others.
- Set up clear rules regarding use of the internet.
- Discuss the dangers of e-mail and chat rooms.
- Be aware of the sites your child(ren) are searching.
- Use filters or use the computer with your child(ren).
- Be alert and aware of warning signs that your child is bullying others or being bullied online.
- Document all information regarding bullying incidents and contact proper individuals.
www.netsmartz.org - National Center for Missising and Exploited Children
www.OnGuardOnline.gov - Federal Trade Commission
www.iKeepSafe.org - Internet Keep Safe Coalition
www.mcgruff.org - National Crime Prevention Council
www.staysafeonline.org - National Cyber Security Alliance
www.teenangels.org - trained teens and preteens that promote internet safety
www.teenchatdecoder.com - ability to decode chat/text messages