Middle school is a time when children begin to really think about what they might like to do when they are adults. This is a time meant for exploration and education on a variety of career fields. As a parent, there are a number of things you can do to assist your child(ren) on their journey.
- Listen and encourage your young child in different activities and hobbies
- Praise your child for their effort as well as their accomplishments
- Show an interest and stress the importance of school
- Encourage good work habits at home and positively reinforce those habits when the child completes chores (Remember that experience and effort are more important than the quality of the work accomplished by your child.)
- Encourage participation in service oriented community activities
- Allow your child to make choices on what they can buy by using guided money management
- Start talking to your teen about their interests and skills, and their goals for the future
- Encourage your teenager to make independent decisions and explore all kinds of post-secondary educational opportunities
- Give them economic responsibilities if they are working part-time outside the home
- Stay involved in your child’s future planning and encourage awareness of different job possibilities
- Keep a positive attitude and be patient as their decision-making abilities evolve
The links below will provide you with career exploration information for your child(ren) as well the courses provided at Mathews High School to help begin planning for the future.