MONDAY, NOVEMBER 2 - CFA Pretest (All Period)
All Classes: "Talking Turkey" Proofreading Activity - Work on this if you finish the pretest early.
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 3 - ELECTION DAY / No Students
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 4 - Shortened Schedule (35-minute classes)
All Classes: Go over the corrections needed on the "Talking Turkey" proofreading activity. Discuss what PROPER NOUNS are and how they need to be capitalized.
English 7 (Periods 1, 2, 5, 6):
- Journal Entry "What Is a Monster?"
- Read "The Spider and the Fly" poem
- Worksheet - Questions about THEME
HONORS ENGLISH (Periods 3 & 7):
- "Talking Turkey" Proofreading Activity
- Vocabulary Test Unit 34
- Film clips from "The Adventure of the Speckled Band"
- Go over Unit 35 vocabulary words.
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 5
1. Vocabulary PowerPoint for "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street"
2. Watch the video TWILIGHT ZONE'S "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street."
3. Go over the PLOT and THEMES for the story.
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 6
All Classes: Show PowerPoint and discuss the themes and issues raised in "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street." Discuss the CHARACTERIZATION of Steve and Charlie.
All Classes: Quiz over "The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street"
*Period 1 - Show ending of the video "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"
Periods 2, 5, 6, 7 - Read "Poe - About the Author" & do the vocabulary activity, "The Mind Behind the Mystery"
Honors English: Period 3 - Show video clips from the Sherlock Holmes story "The Adventure of the Speckled Band."
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 9
All Classes: Introduction to Edgar Allan Poe
1. PowerPoint + Lecture on his LIfe
2. "About the Author" worksheet + "The Mind Behind the Mystery" vocabulary activity
3. Assign a Google slide to be decorated by every student with THREE FASCINATING FACTS about Poe's life. DUE WEDNESDAY!
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 10
- Watch the 5 min. Scholastic film on Edgar Allan Poe's life.
- Read Poe's love poem "Annabel Lee" + go over the study guide questions.
- Go over THEME + CHARACTERIZATION with Smart Board notes.
- Watch the YouTube slideshow presentation of "Annabel Lee" set to music.
- Finish decorating slides about Poe.
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 11 - Shortened Schedule (3
- Quiz over the poem "Annabel Lee"
- Share the Google slides about Poe that students designed and decorated.
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 12
All classes - Read Edgar Allan Poe's suspense story:
(Takes entire period. Show pictures. Discuss CHARACTERIZATION + PLOT.)
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 13
English 7 - Read "Charles" short story / Discuss THEMES + CHARACTERIZATION
Verb Phrase Worksheet #1 - Go over the two versions of "The Helping Verb Song" + do 15 sentences together where students identify the VERB PHRASES.
HONORS ENGLISH - Read Poe's first detective story, "The Murders in the Rue Morgue." PowerPoint with pictures + discussion of the creation of the first detective.
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 16
- Read the nonfiction article "Gentlemen of the Road" and answer the questions. Talk about the real life highwayman and how they came to be.
- PowerPoint - Vocabulary for the poem "The Highwayman"
- Read "Background" of "The Highwayman" and discuss the SETTING.
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 17
- Read "The Highwayman."
- Discuss the plot and characterization.
- Watch the animated movie of the poem.
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 18 - Shortened Schedule
- Go over the PLOT of "The Highwayman."
- Show PowerPoint over poem with the symbolism of the colors, themes, characterization.
- Fill out the review worksheet.
- If time, listen to modern day Scottish singer Lorena McKinnit's version of "The Highwayman."
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 19 - ALL CLASSES: Quiz over "The Highwayman"
**Listen to the poem one last time before the quiz.
English 7 - After the quiz:
Begin going over the verb phrase worksheet #2 "Let's Talk Turkey."
HONORS ENGLISH - After the quiz:
- Verb Phrase Worksheet #1 + the two versions of "The Helping Verb Song"
- Go over Unit 36 vocabulary words
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 20
- Read "Aliens" nonfiction article and answer reading comprehension questions.
- Finish going over "Let's Talk Turkey" verb phrase worksheet.
- Watch the Grammar Rock film "Mr. Morton" about SUBJECTS and PREDICATES.
- Vocabulary Test Unit 35
- Verb Worksheet #2 - "Let's Talk Turkey"
- "Alien" nonfiction article + reading comprehension questions
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 23
- Listen to "The Grinch" song and identify SIMILES and METAPHORS.
- Students will write three similes comparing people to food. They will then turn those similes into metaphors. Students will be asked to share some with the rest of the class.
- I will read aloud the book OWL MOON to students.
- Students will identify FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE + SENSORY DESCRIPTION in the story.
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 24
- Journal Entry: "Thanksgiving" + patriotic music
- Read the nonfiction humorous essay "Fish Cheeks" by Amy Tan.
- Discuss the THEMES + SENSORY DESCRIPTION.
- Just for Fun: holiday puns and jokes.
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 30
- Quickwrite - "Computers"
- Read "User Friendly" (short story)
- Vocabulary for Story - PowerPoint
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 1
- Smart Board Notes - Plot + Characterization in "User Friendly"
- Open-Book Quiz - "User Friendly"
- YouTube video clips of modern-day computers / robots that have "come to life." ("Jibo the home robot," "Lost in Space," "The Jetsons," "Robo Cops")
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 2
- Idiom PowerPoint (Definitions + illustrations of the idioms on the handout)
- Handout - List of Idioms to Study for Friday's Quiz
- ONCE IN A BLUE MOON - Read aloud + PowerPoint with Illustrations / Discuss the meanings of these well-known IDIOMS.
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 3
- "Fixed on Food" -Introductory Activity on IDIOMS / (Students test their knowledge of idioms dealing with food.)
- Go over the correct answers.
- SYMPHONY IN SLANG - YouTube Video / Discuss the meanings of the IDIOMS in the video
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 4
"User Friendly" Idioms - Identify and define the IDIOMS used in the story "User Friendly."
Listen & watch the YouTube presentation "That's an Idiom." Discuss the unfamiliar idioms in the song.
Read two fun poems about idioms. Discuss common idioms during this holiday season such as "trim the tree," "Christmas has come a little early this year," and "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."
Watch a PowerPoint on English idioms and discuss their origins and meanings.
MONDAY, DECEMBER 7 - O. HENRY UNIT
- "What's Really in a Name" - read + open-book quiz over the nonfiction article. This will be good practice for the CFA posttest later this week.
- O. Henry PowerPoint + read short biographical page on the author.
- PowerPoint: "Why Do People Use Pseudonyms?" Discuss famous authors and celebrities who have used a pseudonym and why they did it.
- Quickwrite: "What Pseudonym Would You Choose?"
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 8
- Read O. Henry's shorty story "After Twenty Years."
- Smart Board Notes - Plot, Characterization, Vocabulary, + Theme
- "What Is IRONY?" YouTube Video Lesson
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 9 - Shortened Schedule
- Open-Book Quiz - "After Twenty Years"
- "What's Your Name?" (Journal Entry)
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 10
- O. Henry - "I Have to Get a Story off My Chest" / Read nonfiction article + answer questions.
- Vocabulary - CONTEXT CLUES Activity for "After Twenty Years"
- CFA Practice - "Yellowstone National Park" / Central Idea + Summary
**HONORS ENGLISH - VOCABULARY TEST UNIT 36
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 11 - ALL CLASSES: CFA Q2 Posttest
MONDAY, DECEMBER 14
- Read "The Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry + animated YouTube video of it.
- Discuss the PLOT, CHARACTERIZATIONS, THEMES, + IRONY in this famous Christmas story.
- Assign "Holiday Greetings & New Year's Wishes" Google Slide to be decorated for Thursday presentation.
- "The Christmas Idiom Poem" - Highlight the 10 IDIOMS and define them.
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 15
- JIMMY VALENTINE by O. Henry (movie) (30 minutes)
- Smart Board Notes - Plot, Characterization, + Themes
- Students fill out a plot events worksheet. We will identify the PROTAGONIST, ANTAGONIST, CLIMAX, RESOLUTION, and THEMES. We will also discuss all of the IRONY used in the story.
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 16
- Read "The Ransom of Red Chief" by O. Henry. (30 minutes)
- Go over the PLOT and CHARACTERIZATIONS.
- Discuss "The Ransom of Red Chief." Go over the Smart Board notes and plot diagram.
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 17
- Open-Book Quiz Over "The Ransom of Red Chief"
- Watch 6-minute musical presentation of the poem "Twas the Night Before Christmas."
- PowerPoint of vocabulary from the poem
- Highlight the FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE in the classic poem "Twas the Night Before Christmas."
- Begin sharing the Google Slideshow of students' favorite holiday memories or New Year's wishes.
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 18
- Just for fun - Guess the song titles challenge
- Watch 8-minute YouTube video of "The Grinch That Stole Christmas."
- Finish presenting the Google Slideshow of "Holiday Greetings & New Year's Wishes."
- Holiday jokes