Chapter 3 Test Study Guide
DIRECTIONS: Define the following key Terms.
- Civics 6. Duty
- Refugee 7. Responsibility
- Ethnic Group 8. Representative Democracy
- Government 9. Constitutional Monarchy
- Citizens 10. Volunteerism
11. A government controlled by one person or a small group of people is called_______________.
12. What is the term for the process by which aliens can become citizens?
13. What is the term for people who move permanently to a new country?
14. If discovered by the government, _______ _______will be deported.
15. The first Europeans to settle permanently in North America in the 1500s were from___________.
16. Legal aliens have many of the rights of citizens, such as___________________________ (name 3)
17. Unlike citizens, aliens may NOT__________________________________.(Name 3)
18. The three different levels of government are__________, ___________ , and __________.(In order)
19. A state government cannot take actions that go against the laws and authority of__________________.
20. The foundations of democracy began where?
21. E pluribus unum is Latin for___________________________.
22. What are taxes used for? List 3 examples.
23. A citizen’s most important duty is to obey the __________.
24. What organization provides volunteer opportunities to Americans aged 55 and older?
DIRECTIONS: True/False. Write either T or F.
23. More and more Americans now earn a living by providing services.
25. The government of the United States is a dictatorship.
26. If you give up your American citizenship, you can get it back if you change your mind.
27. Local governments can print money.
Directions: Read each statement below and then decide if it`s a citizen`s DUTY or RESPONSIBILITY to do the following things.
28. Watching President Obama`s State of the Union speech.
29. Going to school.
30. Volunteering at the Humane Society every Saturday morning.
31. Throwing away only paper in the classroom`s blue recycling bin.
32. Following the speed limit.
33. Defending the United States in times of war.
34. Paying taxes.