Chapter 4 Test Study Guide
DUE DATE: October 16, 2012
Directions: Define the following key terms on a separate sheet of paper.
- Economy 6. repeal
- Cash crop 7. smuggling
- Compact 8. delegate
- Parliament 9. Social contract
- Indentured servant 10. Natural rights
Directions: You may use the Textbook (www.connected.mcgraw-hill.com)AND Notes!
11. Who wrote Common Sense?
12. Why was the government of ancient Athens called a direct democracy?
a. The people chose representatives to make laws for them.
b. The people governed themselves.
c. The people directly chose their king.
d. The government directed all aspects of life.
13. According to Baron de Montesquieu the power of government should be ___________.
14. How did the New England colonies make a living? (List 3)
15. Colonists protested the taxes on colonial goods and British imports by __________.
16. The ______ ________ limited the monarch`s power.
17. The Stamp Act taxed colonists’ on___________________ (Hint: What items?).
18. What was the first permanent English settlement in North America?
19. What was the written plan for government drawn up by the Plymouth colonists?
20. During the Boston Tea Party, colonists dumped tea into Boston Harbor to protest the ______ _____
21. Who was the first person to die in the American Revolution?
Directions: Copy the following statements & then write either TRUE or FALSE.
22. Most of the work of writing the Declaration of Independence fell to Benjamin Franklin.
23. According to Thomas Hobbes life would be “short & brutish” if there was no government and laws.
24. In the United States, people elect leaders to represent them in the government.
25. According to the Declaration of Independence, the people have the power to “alter of abolish their government” if it fails to protect their rights.
26. George Washington was named general of the Continental Army.
27. King George III refused to help the colonists fight the French and Native Americans.
Directions: Fill in the Blanks
We hold these truths to be self-28. ________ , that all men are created 29.__________, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable30. ____________, that among these are 31.___________ , 32.___________, and the pursuit of 33.______________.
That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just 34.___________ from the 35.___________ of the governed,
That whenever any form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the36. ____________ to alter or 37.___________ it…..