How does geography impact/create/influence culture?
Let’s have a look at the country of Yemen.
- Yemen does not have very much oil.
- On the Human Development Index for 2010, Yemen’s rank is __________ out of ___________ countries, which is low.
So perhaps people don’t think that Yemen is important or beautiful. I think you should decide for yourself!
Read the project guidelines below:
Part 1: Create a map book of Yemen which includes the following five maps: (blank outline map of Yemen)
- Rub' al Khali or the Empty Quarter
- Rivers (called Wadi in Arabic)
- Capital City of Sanaa
- 4 other cities (must include Aden and Shibam)
- Gulf of Aden, Red Sea, Arabian Sea
- Climate Map
- Vegetation Map
- Economic Activity Map
- Land Use
Below are a series of videos, maps, and articles having to do with the culture of Yemen
- 3D Panoramas inside the Walled city of Shibam
(Also see "Collected Videos of Yemen" available on Mrs. Murry's flashdrive)
Yemen Travel Guide (not all videos are available here)
Watch at least 3 videos and take good notes for each video on notecards.
- Write the name of the video on the card.
- Use your senses to help you write down ideas.
- Hearing-- What are people saying? Is there music? What can you hear?
- Seeing-- What are the men wearing? What are the women wearing? What do the children wear? What do the buildings look like? What does the land look like? Do you see plants? Animals?
- Write down the names of the places that the videos are about, and find them on the map. You may need to look up city names and write them on your map of Yemen.
Part 3: Writing on the Connection between Culture and Geography.
Carefully read over your notes and the maps you have created. Now, begin making connections between the facts written on your cards and the maps you have created.
Create a graphic organizer that looks like this:
|Facts from Notecards||Connection between Culture and Geography|
|Political Features and Population|
|Economic Activity: Resources|
|Economic Activity: Land Use|
Writing Prompt: How does geography influence culture in Yemen? Write a paragraph that discusses the relationship between geography and culture in Yemen, and use at least three examples to support your ideas. Write in all the facts that you can connect to these ideas.