8th Grade United States History Syllabus
Instructor: Ms. D. Ellen Ward
Room: 204Email: email@example.com
Phone: Coweta Junior High 486-2127
Textbook: United States History Beginnings to 1877
- 3 ring binder (you will need at least a 2 inch binder)
- Binder dividers
- Loose-leaf notebook paper (NO SPIRAL PAPER)
- Writing utensils:
- Pen (blue or black ink only), pencils, highlighter.
- Composition book—for journals and daily writings
**STUDENTS SHOULD HAVE ALL SUPPLIES THE FIRST MONDAY AFTER RECEIVING THIS SYLLABUS.
Course Description: In Grade 8, students study the history of the United States from the early colonial period through the Civil War and Reconstruction. Historical content focuses on the political, economic, and social events and issues related to the colonial and revolutionary eras, the creation and ratification of the U.S. Constitution, challenges of the early Republic, westward expansion, sectionalism, Civil War, and Reconstruction.
Course Requirements: Students are expected to do their best. Doing the best work implies that a student be prepared for class (to include nightly homework and reading). Students will be expected to take notes and to be ready for classroom discussions. Students may receive a quiz over the previous nights reading assignments.
Homework Policy: Homework may be assigned on a regular basis as a way to supplement and strengthen the student’s regular grade. Homework is a part of the student’s grade, and the student is responsible for completing and turning it in on time.
- Come to class prepared!
- Each day your assignment will be on the board. Come in, sit down, and begin the assignment. DO NOT WAIT FOR ME TO TELL YOU TO BEGIN.
- Go to the restroom, use the phone, get a drink, etc. BEFORE CLASS. You will not be allowed to leave the classroom.
- Assignments are due at the beginning of class!
- If I can not read your work due to the smallness, lack of neatness, or the lightness of your writing utensil I will NOT grade your work. You will have the option to rewrite it that night and turn it in the next day or take a zero for the assignment.
- Without the following heading on your assignment your assignment grade will drop ONE LETTER GRADE!
- First and Last Name
- Date of Assignment
- Class Period
Binders: Students will be required to have a binder for class with dividers. They are required to keep EVERY assignment that is graded and returned. The dividers are to be labeled; NOTES, ASSIGNMENTS, MAPS, PROJECTS, AND TEST.
**STUDENTS MUST HAVE THE BINDER IN CLASS EVERY DAY! IF THE STUDENT FAILS TO HAVE THEIR BINDER IN CLASS AND THERE IS A BINDER CHECK THEY WILL RECEIVE A ZERO! BINDERS ARE CHECKED SEVERAL TIMES A SEMESTER.
Binders must be kept organized, accurate, complete with dates and in chronological order and neat at all times.
59 and below F
Grades will be based upon chapter and/or unit test, quizzes, chapter assignments which include: thinking skills, interpreting historical documents, geography, map, and vocabulary, study, and review activities. Grades will be computed using a point system in which all assignments will count toward the student’s final grade
Extra Credit Opportunity: There are NONE. You will have ample time in class and may take most assignments home to complete. If you follow instructions and complete all assignments, there is no reason you should not receive a passing grade!
Cheating: Students will receive a zero and parents will be contacted.
Absent Policy: All assignments are posted in the classroom. If the student is absent it is THEIR responsibility to get their assignments and worksheets. All worksheets can be found in a basket at the Student Work Area. It is NOT my responsibility to make sure you do your make-up work.
CONSEQUENCES FOR INAPPROPRAITE BEHAVIOR
- VERBAL WARNING
- WRITTEN ASSIGNMENT DUE THE NEXT DAY
- SHOULD STUDENT NOT RETURN THE WRITTEN ASSIGNMENT—IT WILL DOUBLE AND BE DUE THE NEXT DAY. IF NOT TURNED IN AT THAT TIME THE STUDENT WILL BE SENT TO THE PRINCIPAL OR VICE PRINCIPAL.
- SEVERE OFFENSE: IMMEDIATE REFERAL TO THE VICE-PRINCIPAL OR PRINCIPAL’S OFFICE.
- All rules and policies stated in the Student Handbook and the Board of Education policy manuals will be enforced.
- Be polite!
- Listen and follow directions the first time.
- Respect the opinions and property of others.
FOOD, POP, CANDY, BEVERAGES (except water), etc are NOT PERMITTED in class.
Please read, sign and return to Ms. Ward no later than the Monday following receiving this syllabus.
Parent/Guardian Signature ________________________________Date______
I have read the U.S. History Syllabus and understand what is expected of me.