Essay Prompts for Over Nine Waves: A Book of Irish Legends by Marie Heaney DUE: Monday, April 20th
- Times New Roman or Arial Style Font
- 1 inch margins
- 3 pages
- Double spaced
- MLA Style in text citations (even for Heaney’s book)
- MLA Style works cited page only required if using outside sources (anything besides Heaney’s book)
Please create your essay on one of the following prompts:
- Take a myth, folk or fairy tale with which you are familiar and write a comparative essay between it and The Mythological Cycle. Using quotes from the text, please find at least three similarities to expound upon and be sure to include a discussion of theme.
- Poetry and satire were held in high regard by the ancient Celts of Ireland. Use examples from the text to support this claim and using what we’ve learned about oral traditions, develop your opinion as to why this was.
- “The Tuatha De Danaan had a law that only a man in perfect shape could rule them, and without his arm Nuada could no longer be king” (9). This quote represents a common theme which connects the perfection of the king to the quality of harvest during his reign. Are there any ways this need for perfection in our leaders is still seen today? State your opinion clearly and give at least 3 examples.