Gloria Dei Lutheran Middle School
All students entering grades 6 – 8 must read one of the following books: The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (ISBN: 978-0061992278), Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls (ISBN: 978-0440412670), Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell (ISBN: 978-0547424835) or Wishtree by Katherine Applegate (ISBN: 978-1250043221). Please select something not yet read.
Step 1: Students should obtain and read one of the books listed above. You may borrow from your local library or purchase from a bookstore. (Amazon does have both new and used copies available for less than $10.00.)
Step 2: Choose three activities from the options below.
- Book Jacket - Create a book jacket for your book. Make sure to include a new title, cover picture, information about the author, and an objective summary on the back cover. Also include three or four quotes from people about the book.
- Glossary - Find 20 words from the book and create a word glossary for the back of your book. Be sure to reference the page number where each word is found. Also create an example sentence for each word.
- Comic Strip - Create a graphic cartoon depicting one conflict within your story. Your graphic cartoon must have at least six boxes with a dialogue cloud in each box.
- Interview with a Character - Interview a character from your novel. The interview must have twenty open ended questions with no "yes or no" responses. The written interview should be three pages.
- New Chapter - Write one new chapter for the book. Make sure the chapter is at least two pages in length.
- News Story - Write an objective (without opinion) news story reporting the events in your selected book. Story must be one page in length.
Step 3: Turn in your three completed assignments by Friday, September 6, 2019.
Step 4: Complete the AR quiz on the selected book.
This summer reading project will count for multiple grades –
Classwork grade – class discussions and activities
Quiz grade – the score achieved on the AR reading quiz
Test grade – the three items chosen for the summer assignment
The following rubric will be used to grade the collection of three items selected:
100% - Exemplary/Exceeds Standard: Student demonstrated that he/she read the novel and completed ALL THREE parts and his/her responses show evidence of a DEEP understanding of the novel.
85% - Proficient/Satisfactory Standard: Student demonstrated that he/she read a book pair and completed all parts and his/her responses show evidence of a BASIC understanding of the novel.
70% - Developing/Needs Improvement: Student completed SOME parts and the responses show evidence of a basic understanding of the novel.
55% - Insufficient/Unsatisfactory: Student completed FEW parts with little to no understanding of the novel.