While technology can be distracting to children and teenagers, it can also be very useful and beneficial in the classroom when there are proper rules in place.
Making Classroom Technology Rules
The first step of having classroom technology rules is to begin with a digital citizenship lesson with students so they can think of what rules are important for their classroom and safety. When students collaborate to create the rules for classroom technology, they have a sense of ownership which gives them a greater responsibility to follow their own rules. Once the rules have been established, it is important for them to be displayed for the students. This can be done in a variety of ways, including posters, presentations, or creating a video with the students. The videos below show great ways to display classroom technology rules.
10 Common Classroom Technology Rules
1. Only visit approve Internet sites.
2. Never give out your personal information.
3. Tell your teacher if you see something inappropriate.
4. Never download anything without the teacher's permission.
5. Leave your workspace as you found it.
6. Print only if you have permission.
7. Never change device settings without permission.
8. Place devices on chargers when not in use.
9. Tough and use devices gently.
10. Do not eat or drink near devices.
Visit We Are Teachers for a free set of classroom technology posters you can print out.
Elementary vs. High School
Technology can differ from how it is used in the primary grade level to the high school grade level. In elementary, students typically use tablets, laptops, and desktops. In high school, students usually use the same devices along with smartphones. Because of the different uses of technology and ages of students, there can be a variation of rules. As educators, we try to plan ahead for problems that may occur. As technology changes, some situations may happen outside of our rules. Having students to follow the "4 B's" can help to balance issues as they arise.
- How to Make Technology Rules for Your Classroom https://blog.mimio.com/how-to-make-technology-rules-for-your-classroom
- 10 Classroom Rules for Using Technology http://blog.whooosreading.org/10-classroom-rules-for-using-technology/
- Digital Safety | Computer Rules Prevent Problems https://www.educationworld.com/a_tech/tech/tech044.shtml
- Classroom 1:1 Technology Norms: Responsibility, Respect, Focus & Presence http://thenexttechthing.blogspot.com/2016/10/classroom-11-technology-norms.html