Welcome to Mrs. Colson's English 10 Class!
Throughout the course ranging from August 2017 to May 2018, students will be prepared to master the course level expectations and state performance indicators for English II in the following areas: language, communication, writing, research, logic, informational texts, media, and literature. All students will acquire and apply the skills necessary to meet and exceed the Tennessee Language Arts learning expectations for English II.
Education is not the filling of a pail, but a lighting of a fire. -William Butler Yeats
Required Materials Grading
one 3-ring binder approximately 2 inches Letter Grade Values:
loose leaf paper A=93.0-100
pencil B=85.0 – 92
blue or black ink pen C=75.0 – 84
highlighter D=70.0 – 74
Students will have multiple writing assignments, tests, projects, and quizzes to complete over the material covered. *Weights of each category will be discussed in class. It is possible that the weight of the assignments can change. Students will be notified if this happens.
- Be sure to come to class with the required materials. Students will not be allowed to go to lockers after the bell.
- All students are expected to remain in class for the entire period unless an emergency necessitates leaving the classroom or if a student is called to an administrative office.
- Excessive tardiness will result in a visit to the office and call to parent/guardian. A student will be considered tardy unless a note is provided from a teacher or the office.
- No cell phones are allowed in class. Students should have cell phones silenced during class and out of sight as well as any other electronic devices (iPads, iPods, MP3 Players, etc.). Any violations will be handled according the procedures/ consequences in the student handbook.
- Disruptive behavior will not be tolerated. All students deserve a productive learning environment free of distractions. Students are expected to demonstrate respect toward other students as well as property belonging to other students and the school.
- Students are responsible for any make up work missed. Once the student returns to school, he or she has a maximum of three days to complete and turn in any make up work. This opportunity is based on excused absences.
- All school rules apply in my classroom, so become familiar with the student handbook.
Parents and Guardians, if you have not recieved the syllabus that was sent home, please print the syllabus located under "links" and sign stating that you have read over the rules with your child and understand the importance of having a successful term in English II. Please provide your e-mail address and home/work phone numbers so that I may keep you posted on your child’s progress in this required course. Thank you and I look forward to an interesting and hopefully successful year.