· The causes of “new imperialism”
· Why imperialism succeeded
· How governments ruled their empires
· Forms of imperial ruleThe Partition of Africa (25.2); p. 175-176 (RRB)
· What forces were shaping Africa in the early 1800s?
· How did European contact with Africa increase?
· How did Leopold II start a scramble for colonies?
· How did Africans resist imperialism?European Challenges to the Muslim World (25.3); p. 161-162 (RRB)
· What were sources of stress in the Muslim world?
· What problems did the Ottoman Empire face?
· How did Egypt seek to modernize?
· Why were European powers interested in Iran?The British Take Over India (25.4); p. 160-161, 174-175 (RRB)
· What were the causes and effect of the Sepoy rebellion?
· How did British rule affect India?
· How did Indians view western culture?
· What were the origins of Indian nationalism?China and the New Imperialism (25.5); p.176-177 (RRB)
· What trade rights did westerners seek in China?
· What internals problems did Chinese reformers try to solve?
· How did the Qing dynasty come to an end?
· How did imperialism contribute to the rise of nationalistic feelings in China?