The First Part Last By Angela Johnson
Find the most recent statistics that you can about teen pregnancy in America. Create at least one graph explaining the results you discovered.
1.) Predict what happens to this family ten years into the future. Explain why.
Write a reflection on the quote below-
'This little thing with the perfect face and hands doing nothing but counting on me. And me wanting nothing else but to run crying into my own mom's room and have her do the whole thing.'(12)
Book /Movie Comparison, "The Hunger Games"
May the odds be ever in your favor. Effie Trinket-The Hunger Games
Students will read the novel and view the movie and write a min. 3 page reflection paper, compare and contrast the main theme of the story, characters and setting. Cover page required.
After reading the novel "Petey" Reflect
- How do you feel about Petey's parents leaving him in the institution? Do you blame them or understand what they did?
- What do you think happened to Esteban? How would Petey's life have been different if Esteban would have stayed?
- Why did it take so many years for Petey to learn how to make sounds?
- What do you think it would feel like to have thoughts, feelings, and ideas inside you and not be able to communicate them with anyone? Is that what Petey is feeling?
- What motivated Trevor to step in when the boys were throwing snowballs at Petey? Would you be that brave?
- What are some similarities between Trevor and Petey? How have they both learned to cope with their situations?
- Why is it so important to Trevor to get Petey a new wheelchair?
- How realistic did Trevor's search for Calvin seem to you?
- Petey's nurse Sissy says, "We're all dying from the second we're born. That's why it is so important to live." What does that mean to you?
- Do you know anyone with cerebral palsy? Did reading this novel effect how you might respond to someone with this disease?