Use of word cards for increasing vocabulary is suitable for second language learners. This is best used to help students retain their understandings of words they know and to create a collection of those words (Peregoy & Boyle, 2008).
- Learners use small index cards to create their word cards
- On one side of the card, students write the word with a graphic representation. On the other side, students write the definition. For second language learners, the second language version of the word with a graphic representation is written on one side and the first language version or a definition is written on the other side.
- As the teacher, you may choose to give students words to add to their collections.
- Learners should go over their words during free times individually or with a partner.
- Students may move words out to make room for new words assuming that they are very familiar with the words they are replacing.