Week 4 - In Class writing assignment
Chapter 4- p.75-95
Chapter 5; 96-109
Chapter 6; 122-130
Chapter 8; 168-189
In Class Writing Assignment Please complete each question, and submit as a word document before you leave. This is a graded assignment. This assignment may be worked on in groups, but it must be submitted individually. The following questions are found on p. 75-109, 122-130, 168-189 of your text.
1. Describe the reasons for species extinction and mass extinction events.
2. Explain pesticide resistance in the context of natural selection.
3. Using your text, explain the importance of genetic biodiversity in a population.
4. Discuss the threats to biodiversity.
5. Compare conservation methods for protecting biodiversity.
6. Define the following terms: Population size, population density, population’s sex ratio, Age distribution/age structure, birth and death rates.
7. Explain the characteristics that predict the dynamics of population.
8. Identify factors that limit population growth
9. Identify Species interactions.
10. Describe the effects of community interactions on biodiversity11. Scientists worldwide are presenting us with data that biodiversity is being lost rapidly and visibly within our life time. Does it matter? Briefly discuss the diverse nature of the tropical rainforests and how they are being rapidly destroyed.
Writing Assignment- Due 7/18
Title: Endangered Species Introduction:Biodiversity at all levels is being lost to human impact, irretrievably when species become extinct. Once vanished, a species can never return. For this assignment, you will need to do research on an organization called The International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN).
Tasks:1. Give a brief description of the IUCN. Describe who they are, what they do, their mission, and their members.2. Research a species that is listed with the current IUCN Red List (www.redlist.org). Information is accessible through the Red List database if you search by category, region, or country.3. Briefly describe the Red List including a description of its categories and criteria.4. Provide a brief synopsis about your selected species, noting where the species lives, what threatens the species, what the status of the species is and what this means, and what is being done to protect the species.
Deliverables and Format:Submit your answer in approximately 350 words in a Word document. Remember to cite all referenced sources. Wikipedia is NOT an academic reference. Font: Arial; 12 pointLine Spacing: DoubleDue Date: July 18