Geography for Life Name:
Ms. Hamilton Date: Period:
Reading Guide: Geography, Chapter 4 Section 1 (pg. 71-77)
Throughout your reading, define the following words:
- Ethnic Group:
- Cultural Hearth:
- Language family:
- What are the four societal units and members of the society and how are they designed (who are in each, what do they have in common, etc).
Culture Change and Exchange
- Taking existing technology or resources and changing them to form something new to move society forward is called .
- The spread of ideas, cultural, inventions, and action is called .
- In what ways has technology introduced you to other cultures? Do you think it is a helpful or a disadvantage? Provide Examples.
- Societies or individuals who choose to adopt the practices of another culture are practicing
- What cultural characteristics have you adopted that were introduced to you by friends, media, technology, etc?
- Look at the picture on page 72. In what ways might exposure to television benefit this Mongolian family? Are there disadvantages?
- How is language influenced by the geographic location of a society?
- In what ways does language help to form identity?
- How does language promote unity or conflict? Can you see examples of this in our community? Provide examples.
- A is a local form of language different from the common language.
- Some aspects include and .
- What are two ways language can be diffused? and
- Use the map on page 74 to list at least three countries that belong to the same language family as the country listed. (you may need to use a world map in your book for country names)
- Saudi Arabia:
- Explain the traditional three types of religion:
- Animistic (traditional):
- In what ways does religion spread around the world?
- Use the maps on page 76 to answer the following questions:
- On which continents are there large areas of monotheistic religions?
- What percentage of the world practices Islam and where are the majority of its followers found?
Creative Cultural Expressions
- How do cultures express themselves creatively?
- In what ways do cultural expressions relate to the environment? (List at least 2)