The Breadwinner Websearch!!
I hope you enjoyed reading 'The Breadwinner' by Deborah Ellis. Now we are going to learn more about Afghanistan and the lives of people living in Afghanistan. At the end of this work you will present a fact poster of the information you found.
Focus Questions / Tasks:
Use these two websites to answer the following questions:
1. What is the capital of Afghanistan? What country is the capital of Afghanistan located near on the map?
2. What year did the Taliban take control of Kabul? What year was that group toppled?
3. Who is the President (also referred to as the chief of state) of Afghanistan?
4. Describe what the flag of Afghanistan looks like.
Record any interesting facts you discover
Write a paragraph to summarise this sport
Listen to some Afghani music.
Write down your thoughts and feelings in one or two sentences.
a. What inspired Deborah Ellis to write The Breadwinner?
b. Where are all the royalties from the sales of the Breadwinner going?
c. List at least three things about Deborah Ellis' life.
Can you find the answers they give to the following questions?
1. What kind of toys do you have?
2. What do you do for fun?
3. What type of sports do you play? Can girls play this sport also?
Use the above website to find and copy out:
- One Afghan recipe
- One Afghan poem
- Two Afghan proverbs
- One traditional holiday, when it happens, and how the people celebrate it
Two myths or supersitions
Now see your teacher about how you are going to present all this information!!