|School Name:||Greenup County ATC||Program:|
|KY Tech Course Name:||Turf Management||Teacher:|
HRT 120 Turf Management 3
HRT 121 Turf Management Lab 0
A variety of materials will be used to facilitate learning. The main text for this class will be Turfgrass Science and Management. We will also be using information from the University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service, and any other resource the instructor feels necessary.
- Identify turf and lawn plants and functions.
- Identify major types of turf and their suggested uses.
- Take a soil sample for a lawn area and interpret results
- Calculate and apply fertilizer and lime to a lawn based on soil test results.
- Determine square footage for specific situations.
- Prepare a lawn seedbed, calculate seed and distribute evenly
- Identify and control turf pests
- Cut, roll and lay sod
- Perform lawn renovation
- Develop a lawn maintenance schedule for a high and low use lawn area
- Select and use turf equipment
- Perform preventative maintenance of turf equipment
- Students will be graded according their performance in class/lab via written tests, performance tests, and hands on projects.
- The grading scale is as follows:
90% to 100% A
80% to 89% B
70% to 79% C
60% to 69% D
Below 60% F
*Courses with grades of less than a “C” will not count toward a certificate or be eligible for dual credit.Procedures for Makeup Work/Tests
- It is the responsibility of the student to contact the instructor to make arrangements to makeup work/tests.
- Students shall be granted the number of days missed plus one (1) to make up any worked missed for an excused absence.
- The outline of the course is at the discretion of the instructor. Typically the course will begin with training on safety. All students must pass each safety test with a score of 100%. After completing the unit on safety, instruction will follow the course objectives/task list as mentioned previously.
- Safety in Horticulture
- Overview of the Turfgrass Industry
- Turfgrass plant identification
- Turfgrass Establishment
- Water and Irrigation
- Pesticide Use
- Pest identification (Weeds, Insects, & Diseases)
- Integrated Pest Management
- Turf Improvement
- Sports Turf Management