| ||SYLLABUS|| |
|Mrs. J. Williams|| ||2010-11|
|English 11|| ||phone: 256-428-8050|
|Huntsville High School|| ||Email: email@example.com|
|Purpose: English 11 will combine an in-depth study of American literature from 1900 to the present day, with grammar, composition instruction, and vocabulary incorporated throughout the course. This course adheres to the standards set forth by the Alabama Course of Study and the Alabama High School Graduation Exam. |
|Goals and Objectives |
- To read, analyze, and comprehend a variety of literature and other materials.
- To write in a variety of styles in an effective and grammatically correct manner.
- To speak effectively on a variety of topics.
- To view and analyze plays, films, and other materials relating to class content.
- To listen to, analyze, and discuss class topics.
|MaterialsText: Elements of Literature: Essentials of American Literature, fifth course, volume two3-ring notebook with 5 divider tabs Various colored pens for editing and highlightingBlue or black pen for testsCollege-ruled loose leaf paperIndependent reading material |
|Major worksStudents will read, discuss, analyze, and write about poetry, short stories, novels and plays. Students will also be responsible for writing a major research paper. Some of the major works covered during this year will include the following: |
|Of Mice and Men||John Steinbeck|
|The Great Gatsby||F. Scott Fitzgerald|
|The Taming of the Shrew||William Shakespeare|
|A Raisin in the Sun||Lorraine Hansberry|
| **This list of major works is subject to change.|
- Homework and classwork 15%
- Tests, papers, and projects 60%
| ||F 59 and below|
| In order to pass English 11, a student must score 60% or higher. A progress report will be sent home with each student halfway through each nine weeks. |
|ConferencesStudents and parents may request teacher conferences, before or after school, at any time during the school year. I can be reached at 428-8050. |