- Background Information on 1850-1900 (in textbook)
- Civil War Women's Biographies
- "An Episode of War" by Stephen Crane
- "Willie Has Gone to the War"
- Slave Spritiuals: "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot", "Go Down Moses", "Follow the Drinking Gourd"
- An excerpt from Frederick Douglass's "My Bondage and My Freedom"
- Excerpts from Harriet Jacobs's Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
- Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl: a play done by Irvine Valley College: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAPjuIB64kk
- Beyonce singing "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y77hbSGS1PU
- "Willie Has Gone to the War":https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXdyrF8yUgU
- Reading Rainbow's episode on slavery and "Follow the Drinking Gourd": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKg0CzUzwk0&playnext=1&list=PLEB9C72F7D8FF2212&feature=results_main
Students will be able to:
- Develop empathy for the plight of African Americans living in America as slaves during the 1800's.
- Analyze author's craft for meaning and eliciting emotion from the reader.
- Synthesize the complex relationships between slaves and their owners based on their comprehension of the text(s).
- Compose their own spirituals and stories of escape based on the empathy they have developed from their reading and our discussion.
- Model appropriate behavior where all people are accepted regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, etc.
Common Core Standards:
11.RL.1 "Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text..."
11.RIT.1 "Cite strong and thorough textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text..."
- 11.RIT.3 "Analyze a complex set of ideas or sequence of events and explain how specific individuals, ideas or events interact and develop over the course of the text".
- 11.RIT.2 "Determine two or more central ideas of a text and analyze their development over the course of the text..."
- 11.RIT.5 "Analyze and evaluate the effectiveness of the structure an author uses in her or her exposition or arguement..."
- 11.RIT.7 "Integrate and evaluate multiple sources of information presented in different media or formats..."
- 11.W.1 "Write arguments to support claims in an analysis of substantive topics of texts, using valid reasoning and relevant and sufficient evidence".
- 11.W.4 "Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization and style are appropriate to task, purpose and audience".
- 11.SL.1 "Initiate and participate effectively in a range of collaborative discussions..."
- 11.SL.3 "Evaluate a speaker's point of view..."
- 11.SL.4 "Present information, findings and supporting evidence, conveying a clear and distinct perspective, such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning..."