Agenda: Syllabus, Student info sheet
Algebraic connection to Geometry
Course: GEOMETRY 12063201 Credit: 1
Teacher: KeKe Riley, RM 311 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 850.617.4700 x2311 Website: http://kekeriley1.educatorpages.com
I. COURSE DESCRIPTION:
The purpose of this course is to emphasize critical thinking involving the discovery of relationships and their proofs, and develops skills in applying the deductive methods to mathematical situations.
II. COURSE GOALS & OBJECTIVES:
- Geometry constructions
- Terminology and fundamental properties of geometry
- Deductive and inductive reasoning and their application to formal and informal proof
- Formulas pertaining to the measurement of plane and solid figures
- Coordinate geometry and transformations on the coordinate plane
- Exploration of geometric relationships such as parallelism, perpendicularity, congruence, and similarity
- Properties of circles
- Right triangle trigonometry
Glencoe Mathematics Geometry Florida Edition Cost: $54.99 (Students are responsible for the entire cost of the textbook if damaged or lost.)
Textbooks will used as a supplement only. Students will create their own interactive notebooks to use to study.
If a students would like to check out a text book please see me.
IV. REQUIRED MATERIALS, SUPPLIES:
- Composition notebook Pencils/Erasers
- Scientific Calculator (TI-30XS MulitView) Glue Sticks
- 2 pocket folder
- ONLINE RESOURCES:
- Leon County Grading Policy:
A: 100- 90 B: 89- 80 C: 79- 70 D: 69-60 F: 59- 0
- Teacher Grading Policy:
Interactive Notebooks/HW/Activities ------------------20%
- Retake Policy:
A student will be allowed to re-take a test if all assignments within the unit are completed and the notebook is up to date.
• All students will be given one week from the date of an absence to complete missed assignments and projects.
• Tests missed due to an excused absence must be retaken the day the student returns to class. Make-up tests will probably necessitate coming in during lunch or immediately after school.
• When you are absent, MAKE UP WORK IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. Every student in the class will be keeping a list of assignments. Please exchange phone numbers with 2 other students to call should you need an assignment or log into the class website. If you are absent because of a school sponsored activity (i.e. field trip, sports event, etc.), please consult with me BEFORE your absence to get notes and the assignment.
• If you miss a review day, you must take the test with the class.
• Homework, tests, and quizzes not made up on time will receive a grade of zero.
Completing daily assignments is a key to success in this course.
- Each student is required to keep a 3-ring notebook with all assignments, notes and handouts. Assignments may be checked for completion each day. Everyone’s notebook will be collected on test day at the beginning of class. Points are taken off for late notebooks.
- You are required to show all steps used in obtaining an answer. Answers without work shown will not receive credit.
- Assignments must be complete to receive credit.
All tests/quizzes will be announced at least a week in advance.
VII. CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT
Every student deserves the most positive educational climate possible for academic
growth. Therefore, I will involve students in developing guidelines for appropriate behavior
in the classroom, including entering the classroom, noise levels, caring for materials, and cleaning
up. My goals for the plan are to prevent misbehavior from occurring, provide supportive discipline to assist students at the first sign of misbehavior, and to enforce and be consistent with corrective discipline. I will do what I can to
suppress and redirect misbehavior and to ensure that all school rules will are enforced.
Consequences to Violation of School Rules:
- First Offence: Verbal Warning
- Second Offence: Parent Contact, and inform the Administrator
- Third Offence: Written Referral and/or Parent Conference
Immediate Written Referral and Sent to Administration
- If you miss class you are responsible for getting and making up the missed assignment promptly.
- If you are absent e-mail the instructor, go onto the class website or call a classmate and get the assignment.
- Follow the attendance policies and make sure any absences are legitimate. Remember to follow sign in and sign out procedures in the attendance office.
First tardy- Verbal or written warning
Second tardy- Recorded in genesis
Third tardy- Attendance Referral
Fourth or subsequent tardy- Recorded as a “Late” (L) in genesis which is an unexcused absence.
VIII. INSTRUCTIONAL STRATEGIES:
Students will be actively involved in each lesson plan.
Students will benefit from project and technology-based instructional lesson plans that utilize:
- Interactive whiteboard Computers Software
- Scientific Calculators Online references/software
*Additional materials will be supplied for project based activities
Many mathematical concepts may take several days to understand completely. Consistent practice, participation and asking questions will help to expedite the process.
Don’t Give Up!!!
Students will receive 5 extra credit points if it is completed and returned by Friday, Aug 24th, 2012.
PLEASE COMPLETE AND DETACH THIS FORM AND RETURN TO MS. RILEY, ROOM 311
I have read and understand the guidelines in this Introduction to Engineering syllabus and understand the classroom discipline plan.
I prefer to be contacted by: (mark all that apply)
Home Number:________________________ Work Number:__________________________
Cell Phone: ________________________Email address: ________________________________