Important ways to approach the test:
- Read the directions- guides us in questions and genre type; maybe even topic
- Utilize the text features- Titles, subtitles, pictures, charts, illustrations, captions- Access Prior Knowledge! Prior knowledge is the foundation we build the piece on.
- Margin notes (on the left)- 3 words or less to sum- up main idea
- Read the directions and note the genre, use text features to acess prior knowledge
- Make notes in the margin
- star lists in the text
- circle important information
- underline the questions
- answer the question before you look at the choices/ show your work
- process of eleimination
- pick the best answer
- reread parts of the text
- reread and check answers
ESSAY REMINDERS: (ALWAYs NEED THREE PARTS- INTRO, BODY,CONCLUSION)
- Introduction that restates the question and states the reasons of your essay.
- Body paragraphs state the reason and then reference the passage and its details as support. ( THIS IS A READING COMPREHENSION TEST- YOU ARE NOT BEING GRADED ON YOUR PERSONAL REFERENCE SUPPORT!)
- Conclusion Paragraph paraphrases the question/thesis statement, Lists reasons and can make a text to text connection statement to end)
- Writing is complex by using higher level vocabulary, sentence structure, and transitional words and phrases.