Parents and Students:
Welcome to Ms. Travis' 8th grade English classroom. The following letter includes classroom expectations and rules that are set for the duration of the school year in my class. I am excited to be at Vanston this year and meet all of you!
You need to purchase and bring to class EVERY day:
1. a Composition (no rings) notebook (stays in class)
2. a YELLOW and a PURPLE folder with brads (stays in class)
3. Notebook paper, pens, pencils, highlighters
4. A copy of: And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
& The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton (check Half Price Books)
(You only need to bring this when we are using them)
Extra credit: bring markers, crayons or notebook paper for a 100 quiz grade at any time all year. Limit one per six weeks and 3 times per year.
Students will not be permitted to return to their lockers for any reason. Come to class prepared because I will not provide materials for you. Textbooks and novels are issued by the school for student use in class only. There will sometimes be opportunities to check out a book or novel. If these materials are not returned, the cost is to be covered by the student or parents.
What’s covered this year?
You can see what is required by the state at this website: http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/
YOU are expected to read ONE novel EACH six weeks for a book report called a "Purpose for Reading" Assignment. We will read THREE novels together and ONE play. YOU are responsible for books checked out from the library and YOU are responsible for bringing whichever book you are reading EVERY day to my classroom. Failure to bring a book or any discipline problems will result in an alternate assignment, which is usually in packet form.
Due dates will be given for all assignments. It is the students’ responsibility to turn in assignments on the due dates. Any student who does not turn in an assignment on the due date will be required to turn in a note from the parents explaining why the assignment is missing. Late work will be accepted for -20 points the first day late, -30 the second day late.
Absences: The student will have the number of days absent plus one to turn in their makeup work. Unless a test was assigned and material was covered before the absence, then the test will be taken on the day the student returns. The same is true for assignments that were assigned prior to the absence and due during the course of the absence. It is the responsibility of the student to check the ABSENT FOLDER to see what they missed and to speak to me if they have questions.
Grading Policy: The reading grade is defined and calculated by the following categories:
1. Class work/homework/vocabulary- 40%
2. Quizzes and Purpose for Reading Assignment – 40%
3. Essay/Tests – 20% (1 per 6 weeks)
Deductions: Points will be deducted from assignments if they are missing any or part of a heading, title, or using an incorrect writing utensil. An automatic ZERO will be given for cheating.
Citations: The 8th grade Team Phoenix will be using citations for disciplinary measures. Upon the third citation, the parent will be contacted. Further action will be taken if necessary. The students will have an in-depth explanation of this process in class.
I believe it is very important to the success of our students to have open communication between parents, teacher, and student. Please feel free to contact me by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone at 972-882-5801 during my conference period 1:55 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. I will contact you on an as needed basis. I always work with the student first to resolve issues before I involve their parents.
We have another teacher who will often be in the classroom co-teaching with me. Her name is Shayla Hart and you can contact her at (---) She will often be instructing your child and we will be working together to ensure a successful 8th grade experience. We are looking forward to a great year and we are glad you are part of Team Phoenix!
Ms. Shanahan’s Class Requirements
How to get started:
1. Enter class respectfully, on time, and prepared
2. Get started on focus work
3. Copy down agenda for the week on Monday
4. Get ready to learn!
1. Follow the class rules and school rules at all times.
2. No bathroom breaks – few exceptions.
3. Stay seated and ask if you need to get up.
4. Raise your hand if you’d like to speak or have a question.
5. Stay on task to avoid extra homework!
6. If the phone rings, immediately get quiet.
7. Turn homework or assignments in the bin when TOLD to
8. If you are done with an assignment…READ
1. I will dismiss you when it is time to go.
2. Clean your area to respect our room!
3. Enter the hallways quietly.
When I am not here:
1. Respect your substitute’s directions, even if it’s not what we’re used to.
2. Be helpful and respectful. I will ask for a full report any time I am gone.
3. If I need to leave the room, stay seated and quiet. ALWAYS.
When you are not here:
1. Look in the red folder file for missing work.
2. If you have late work, hand it in to me, NEVER on my desk or in a bin. Papers found randomly do not receive credit.
3. You have one day plus how many days you were absent to turn in work.
Name, date, class and class period in the upper right corner of every assignment.
Tuesday afternoons and Wednesday afternoons.