Welcome to FACS and Health!
- FACS stands for "Family & Consumer Science". NY State requires that students receive 3/4 unit of FACS (Home and Career Skills) between the grades of 5 and 8. Our students at LCS get 20 weeks of FACS in 7th grade and 20 weeks of FACS in 8th grade. FACS: "Home and Career Skills is a course designed to help middle level students live in a society of constant change and to improve their quality of life by preparing them to meet their present and future responsibilities as family member and community members, consumers, home managers, and wage earners. The goal is to educate early adolescents to think constructively, make sound decisions, solve problems, and manage resources." http://www.p12.nysed.gov/cte/facse/middle.html
At the high school level, our current FACS offerings are Consumer Math, Food Science and Cultural Foods.
- Health education at the middle school level is a 1/2 unit NY State requirement. At LCS, we offer 20 weeks of Health in 7th grade. High School students, according to NY State, must have 1 credit of Health before graduation. Students at LCS may take HS Health at any time between 9th and 12th grade.
- NY State and National Standards
- Students should be prompt to class, with all needed materials.
- Students should be respectful.
- Water bottles are encouraged! You can even re-fill them in my classroom. However, no soda, Gatorade, etc.
- Classroom Cell Phone / Earbud/ Electronic Device Policy: Cell phones / Earbuds are not allowed in school for 7th or 8th grade, and only for teacher-approved activities for my high school classes. For High School: 1st offense: Student will be asked to put their phone / device / ear buds away. 2nd offense: I will take the device from the student and they may pick it up at the end of class. 3rd offense: The device will be given to Mr. Dorritie for the student to pick up from him at the end of the day. More offenses may result in a disciplinary referral by the teacher.
- Homework Policy: Assignments are expected to be turned in on the assigned date / class period. 10 points will be deducted from the assignment grade for late assignments.
Don't limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, you can achieve.
- Mary Kay Ash