Please record your answers on the scantron I have provided. Turn in your scantrons by Monday 4/15/13
- According to Freud, which part of the Unconscious operates according to the “Reality Principle”?
- Which approach to the study of behavior is least empirical?
- One of your classmates remarks that May is all id. What does this mean?
- May is honest
- May uses a lot of defense mechanisms
- May is a perfectionist
- May seeks instant gratification
- The belief that your personality is created through interactions between a person’s cognition, environment and behavior is known as
- The three factor theory
- Reciprocal determinism
- Freudian thinking
- Which psychologist believed that our personality was shaped by the positive regard or lack thereof that we received in childhood?
- Juan has a huge crush on Sally, but he never admits it, instead he tells anyone who will listen that Sally is “really in love with him” . Freud would say Juan’s bragging is an example of which defense mechanism?
- A psychologist asks her patient to look at ambiguous pictures of people in various settings. The this type of test is better known as a
1. Rorschach test
2. Projective test, or TAT
3 The MMPI test
4. An aptitude test
- Which is not one of the big 5 personality descriptors?
- Feminist psychologist Karen Horney believed that men suffered from
- Penis envy
- Womb envy
- Multiple personality disorder
- Freudian thinking
- Someone with an external locus of control ( a theory by John Rotter) is more likely to have
- A positive self image
- A high IQ
- A low IQ
- A belief in luck
- Which type of psychologist would use a projective test like the TAT?
- Social cognitive
- Redirecting one’s unacceptable behavior or urges into a more acceptable academic pursuits best describes which of the following defense mechanisms?
- Humanistic psychologists emphasize the importance of ________________in shaping a person’s personality
- The environment
- Free will
- Your traits
- Your parents
- Trait theorists ( with the exception of Walter Mischel) are criticized for
- Overlooking the importance of gender
- Overlooking the importance or positive self regard
- Overlooking the importance of the unconscious
- Overlooking the importance of the environment and situational factors
- Overlooking the importance of birth order
- According to Freud the id is driven by the
- Pleasure principle
- Egocentric principle
- Reality principle
- Free will principle
- Morality principle
- May is yelled at by her boss for being late. When may runs into a coworker later she screams at him for taking her stapler off her desk. Which eco defense mechanism is at work in this scenario?
- Reaction formation
ESSAY : Please hand in a hard copy with your scantron
Juan is a 16 year old young man who has a history of getting in trouble both at home and school. He seems to have no regard
for others and has few friends. The friends he does have describe him as introverted, closed, undirected and antagonistic.
From the psychological perspectives listed below pick 2 and describe how a psychologist from each field you chose would explain the
root cause of Juan's personality traits.
Be sure to include the main ideas of the perspective, an associated psychologist (Freud, Adler, Rotter, Bandura....) and how they would
explain why Juan has these personality traits