Meads Mill Middle School is in need of an audio and visual performance lab. This lab will allow students to create audio and visual media, edit it, and produce it into consumable material.
Music Education has come a long way in the past few decades. While some elements of music education will remain the same, such as vocal and instrumental instruction, the application of music in this century is very different than it was only a few years ago. Not long ago, music could only be created acoustically; today much music is created electronically. Technology is used in every aspect of music production today. In today’s world, technology is not a luxury that is used on special occasions, such as concerts. It is an integral part of practice and preparation, performance and evaluation.
In education, we strive to prepare our students for the real world. However, if they have no opportunity to learn about and practice music production utilizing common technology, our students will be at a disadvantage. They will not have the diversified skill set necessary to compete with peers both within our country and abroad. The state of Michigan is seeking to diversify it’s work force, even hoping to continue to attract film production here to our state. We in the Detroit area already have a rich background for music production. Motown must be reborn. Therefore, it is essential that our students have the opportunity to utilize technology so that they may have practical application of the skills that they are learning, and so that they may be prepared to participate in the work world.
Students take vocal music and performing arts classes. Currently, ten different classes utilize the classroom over the course of two days. At this time, this includes 315 students, or about one third of the student body. Next semester, an additional 150 students will utilize the classroom. The classroom could also be utilized for four more classes taught by another teacher each semester. This would open up the room to 75% of the student body over the course of the school year.
Current Technology and Software:
At this time, the classroom has internet access, via landline and wireless. The classroom also has one desktop computer (HP Compaq dc7600 with a Pentium 4 processor, and 504 MB of Ram) equipped with Windows XP Pro, 2002 version. There is an HP Laser Jet 2100 printer. There is no music or video software. The classroom also has a 28” television and a DVD/VCR combo unit.
The choir room at Meads Mill Middle School is not technology rich, however, it provides an ideal setting for the implementation of recording stations. There is one large classroom, 40’ x 35’, one office 13’ x 13’, and four practice rooms 6’ x 6’, 7’ x7’, 4’ x 8’, and 16’ x 10’.
Our classroom needs five laptop computers, five audio microphones, recording software, audio and video editing software, two digital cameras, two digital camcorders, three digital pianos, and required cords and cables.
The lab could be used for large or small group recordings. With this technology, students will be able to record new audio and video samples (or take existing audio and video samples) and edit them for digital release. This could include full length songs or videos for digital production, CDs or DVDs. Students could even create video announcements to be used on a daily basis.
Multimedia Laptop – Dell Studio XPS 16 Dell: $2,702
- Featuring Intel® CoreTM i7 Mobile Processors: Intelligent performance for fast multi-tasking and digital media creation
- Full 1080p HD support and premium ATI graphics.
- Brightened view with 16" RGBLED seamless display.
- Component and composite HDMI
- 4 HDMI Ports
- 1.07 Mpix
- 690 Kpix
- Hard disk drive
- Adjustable height and three-way head allow for creative camera angles
- Quick-release head allows you to remove your camera quickly and easily
- Easy Capture - It's easy to transfer videos and digital photos to your computer. Vegas Movie Studio software quickly imports and organizes your digital media so you can get started fast.
- Easy Edit - Simply drag and drop to create movies and slideshows with effects, transitions, and music.
- Easy Share - Powerful tools let you author professional-looking DVDs. You can also export to popular formats or upload movies directly to YouTube™ and ACIDplanet.com.
- Easy Live Recording - Record vocals, guitars, keyboards, and other instruments with ACID Music Studio software. It's easy — simply plug your microphone or instrument into your PC sound card and click Record to capture audio and MIDI.
- Powerful Mixing - 3,000 ACIDized music loops, 1,000 MIDI files, built-in effects, and other tools. You can also import your own songs and MP3 files for beat-matching and mixing.
- Share Anywhere - Burn your own music CDs, save the songs you create to popular formats for uploading to websites such as ACIDplanet.com, prepare audio for podcasts, or convert songs to MP3 format for playback on your portable music player.
- Specifically designed for recording live instrumental or choral music on location directly to your computer. The System Record Live is truly a field recording system—your computer runs the whole setup! Simply record your performances using the included Cubase LE software, then burn CD copies on computers equipped with a CD burner. Works on almost any computer with an available USB port. Includes a Tascam US- 122 audio/MIDI interface, two 50-ft. mic cables, two MicroLight stands and a pair of Audio-technica AT2020 mics.
- Yamaha DGX630 88-Key “Portable Grand” Keyboard w/ Matching Stand, Power Adapter, & Sustain Pedal
- Performance Assistant – Allows you to play along with any built-in song regardless of your level of ability
- Easy Song Arranger – Allows you to play back songs in 150 unique accompaniment styles
- Flash ROM – Download songs from the internet
- PC Connectivity – USB MIDI and USB to External Device Storage
- Matching Stand, Sustain Pedal, and Power Adapter are included!
To create a media and technology rich classroom where students can utilize the latest in audio and video equipment for vocational and recreational training.
To provide the opportunity for students to interact with video and audio technology. The lab could be used for large or small group recordings. With this technology, students will be able to record new audio and video samples (or take existing audio and video samples) and edit them for digital release. This could include full length songs or videos for digital production, CDs or DVDs. Students could even create video announcements to be used on a daily basis.
|Video Software||6||$59.00||$354.00||Best Buy|
|Audio Software||6||$49.00||$294.00||Best Buy|
|Recording System||6||$398.00||$2,388.00||All-Pro Sound|