Reading comprehension is understanding what we just read. This is an important step to reading. Each reading group works on expanding their reading comprehension each day.
Here are some tips to help your child with his or her reading comprehension while at home.
Pre- Reading (Ask your child these questions before they read their story).
- Why did you choose this book? (fun, they are interested in learning about a topic, they like the author)
- Using the title and the illustrations on the front cover- What do you think this story will be about? Their answer must make sense according to the title and/ or the illustration they see.
- Flip through the book and just look at all of the illustrations. Have your child tell you what is happening in the story. Please make sure they are using complete sentences.
- Did you like this book? Why or why not?
- Tell me the beginning, middle, and end of this story.
- Summarize this story in a few sentences.
- Who were the characters?
- Where was the setting?
- Who was the author of this story? What does an author do?
- Who was the illustrator of this story? What does an illustrator do?
- What was the genre of this story?