IPS Chapter 1 Test Review Sheet
Students must be able to do the following:
- Describe the meniscus of a liquid and how it can affect readings of volume in a graduated cylinder.
- Read the volume of a liquid in a graduated cylinder.
- Explain why volume of a solid containing air (bag of marbles, dry sand, pebbles or the like) cannot be measured directly.
- Explain the displacement method of measuring volume.
- Given a solid that contains air, explain how to determine its volume by displacement.
- Explain how to determine the mass of an object using an equal arm balance, including the use of a slider to zero the balance.
- Determine the volume of a rectangular solid from its dimensions or from the defined shapes that fill it.
- Explain how to determine the sensitivity of a balance or scale.
- Given the mass or volume of an object, find the mass or volume of a quantity of the objects.
- Accurately estimate the length of an object using a scale when the object’s length does not coincide with a division on the scale.