IPS TEST 4 REVIEW SHEET
Be able to do the following:
- Explain the role of the reactants and the products in a chemical reaction.
- Describe two methods for changing (increasing or decreasing) the rate of a chemical reaction. Know the results of the reaction of an antacid tablet with water and how the rate of this reaction can be affected.
- Explain the process involved in separating a mixture of materials A and B if A is soluble in a given solvent and B is not soluble in that solvent.
- List possible processes for separating a mineral from an ore. Ore is the result of mining and contains material we want, and waste material. An example would be the ore bauxite from which we obtain aluminum and waste material.
- Explain how the boiling points (also known as boiling temperatures) of the parts of our atmosphere relate to the fact that they are available to us as gasses.
- Name one source of Hydrogen and Oxygen for chemical feed stocks.
- Describe the meaning of “pure substance” in terms of the substance’s physical properties.
- Explain distillation of compounds with extremely low boiling points (hundreds of degrees below zero)
IPS TEST 4Directions: Choose the best answer to the following questions and mark it carefully on your answer sheet. If you change your answer, erase the first answer completely. Do not write on this sheet.
|Which of the following will remain constant regardless of the quantity you have of a pure substance? a. its mass b its density c. its boiling point d. a,b and c e b and c only|
|A liquid is cooled to -250º F and then heat is added until the liquid boils. The temperature rises with time then stays constant for a period of time. What can be said about the gas leaving the liquid while the temperature stays constant? |
|The process of food decay is a chemical reaction. Think of prehistoric cave dwellers, whose food would decay most rapidly? |
|Baking powder is sometimes mixed with dough to make the dough rise through a chemical reaction. If a baker wants to slow the rising, what should the baker do? |
|A mixture of sulfur and salt must be separated. A process or processes that will be useful are a. dissolving b. boiling c. filtration d. distillation e a, b and c only|
|In a chemical reaction, |
|In separation of two materials by distillation |
|An inventor has patented a method of coating materials using a substance containing oxygen. To get enormous quantities of oxygen, the inventor’s company should think about |
|The Hubble Space Telescope discovers a planet of a distant star. Analysis of the signal from the planet shows that the atmosphere contains gaseous nitrogen. Astronomers can only conclude |
|Knowing only that mining involves removal of large chunks of ore, you might expect that the first step in separating the desired element isa. reacting a solvent with the ore as it comes out of the mineb. crushing the orec. filtering the ore as it comes out of the mined. raising the temperature of the oree. condensing the ore from a saturated solution|
|A material consists of a mixture of two solids, C and D. C is soluble in warm water. The separation process is very likely to includea. Filtering the solids from a water bathb. Distillation of waterc. Mechanical separationd. Distillation of both C and D|
|An antacid tablet is dropped in water and a chemical reaction begins. Which statement(s) is/are true?a. Water and the tablet are the reactantsb. Water and the tablet are the productsc. Using cold water will slow the reaction.d. a and b onlye. a and c only|
|Curing of concrete is a chemical reaction called hydration. Which statement(s) is/are true about the curing of concrete? |
|The temperature of a fractional distillation process depends on |
|The physical properties of a pure substance |