Learning to spell Try this when studying!
1. Look at the word.
- What are the letters in the word?
- What does the word mean?
- Does it have more than one meaning?
2. Say the word.
- What are the consonant sounds?
- What are the vowel sounds?
3. Think about the word.
- How is each sound spelled?
- Do you see any familiar spelling patterns?
- Do you see any suffixes, prefixes, or other word parts?
4. Write the word.
- Think about the sounds and the letters.
- Form the letters correctly.
5. Check the spelling of the word.
- Does it match the spelling on your word list?
- Do you need to write the word again?