Students in fourth grade apply reading strategies and skills automatically, flexibly, and strategically to
comprehend fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and drama.They read for literary experience, to gain information, and
to perform a task.They use a variety of strategies and writing process elements to compose fiction,
nonfiction, poetry, and drama. They become increasingly proficient in active listening, speaking, and using
media and technology.They deepen and extend their understanding and use of English languageconventions in oral presentations and written products. The learner will:
- Expand vocabulary through wide reading, word study, exposure to content area words, and discussion.
- Routinely spell high frequency words and use resources to check spelling.
- Write for a variety of purposes and audiences and use writing as a tool for learning.
- Communicate effectively with different audiences through spoken, written, and visual formats.
- Use media and technological resources for research and as tools for learning.
- Use increasingly sophisticated knowledge of grammar and language conventions in oral and written
- products and presentations.
- Apply comprehension strategies critically, creatively, and strategically.