Ancient Times Newspaper.
Due date: Friday, the 15th of December, 2012.
Imagine you are living in the ancient civilization of Egypt, Rome or Greece. You have just been hired as a journalist by the local newspaper. It is your job to report on major news stories, daily life pieces, and various other newsworthy topics.
Your editor has just given you your first assignment as a reporter. You must write one story that includes one illustration (picture/sketch). Your story must be of superb quality so that the archeologists that find this newspaper many years in the future will be so impressed that they will describe your ancient civilization as astounding and remarkable.
Here are the topics for your newspaper articles, and below you will find specific requirements and detailed descriptions of your articles.
|POLITICAL NEWS||GENERAL INTEREST: EDUCATION; ART, INVENTIONS||ANNOUNCE- MENTS (Min.3)||REAL ESTATE - houses for sale (min. 3)||FASHION||SPORTS||INTERVIEW WITH A FAMOUS PERSON|
|Gustavo||M. Sofia Llanes||Isabel||Tessa||Vanessa||Jorge Polanco||Gaby|
|Mateo||Evan||Rodrigo||Sergio Josue||Ana Maria||Adrian||Vivian|
|Isaiah||Mauricio||Eli||Santiago||Sofia L. V.||Pablo||Victoria|
|Ana R.||Miranda||Ana Paula||Pablo||Ivana||Pepe||Eduardo|
1. Your article must be typed on standard A4 paper and typed in 12 point Arial, print (not cursive) type.
2. Use the double or triple column format in Microsoft Word to format pages.
3. Each article must have a headline, location, and reporter’s name underneath it.
4. Newspaper title, motto, historical “date,” and cost need to be included on Front Page ( you will do it in class with your team on Friday the 14th of December).
5. Include an illustration with captions, but it cannot cover more than 50% of any single page! Write brief, smaller captions at bottom for each picture used – one sentence.
You will work in a group of seven assigned to a specific ancient civilization. Feel free to help other members in your group with ideas but you will be responsible for your own story. After each individual story is finished, the group will then compile the news stories into one newspaper (in class on Friday, the 14th of December).
Suggestions/Ideas for Each Newspaper Page:
- Political News/Front Page – major wars, major events, elections, new laws, agreements to trade with other empires, ways that people learned an income, social classes that became rich from business, etc.
- Human Interest Stories (Education, Science, Technology News) – This is an article about interest versus news. Examples of this type of story might be a person who has done a lot for a community, a kind event. Inventions, improvements of existing inventions, accomplishments, discoveries by famous scientists, medicine, stories about artists or art or buildings, stories about gods or special celebrations.
- Advertisements (Classifieds) – You need to include 3 advertisements for businesses and/or events in your Ancient Civilization. Remember, currency and contact information would be VERY different from modern civilizations. Creative want ads for help, selling items or skills that were well known in your assigned ancient civilization, advertisements for products made in your civilization, add pictures of products in ads.
- Real-estate Listings: You should include a minimum of 3 real-estate listings. These can include people selling homes and / or property. You should try to include an image to accompany each listing. Remember, Ancient currency would be different from our currency, and so would contact information.
- Sports Article: Your sports article needs to be about a recent sporting event in your Ancient Civilization. This can be any sport played during this time.
- Fashion and Lifestyle Section: You may include the hottest new “ancient” fashion with accessories and/ or suggestions for health and lifestyle considerations. You need to provide the detailed description of your product (what it is made of, what colors available, etc.). Be sure to research fashion related to your specific time period.
- Interview with a famous person. Choose a famous person from your civilization (it can be a political leader, a writer, a scientist, etc.). Imagine you have a chance to interview that person. What questions would you ask? What do you think he or she would answer? Write an interview article with one short introductory paragraph, your interview questions and their answers. Click here to see an example of an interview article.
ECOLOGY UNIT FINAL PROJECT
DUE DATE: THURSDAY, OCTOBER 18, 2012.
Making a compost pile at home can help us fight global warming effects.
Your job is to investigate and write a proposal for your parents on how to make a compost pile at home.
The proposal should be presented on two half-sheet illustration boards (papel cascaron).
Bonus points: 1. A handwritten paragraph analyzing the changes in your behavior at home for this project to really work. (3 points). 2.Parents response form (below) filled out (2 points)
Please, click here to download the detailed project description and rubric.