Here are some some resources to help you understand why math and fractions are so important to your child's learning! You will also find some great resources that further explain how we teach fractions and some resources you can use at home.
1. Identifying Fractions on a Number Line http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1093159.pdf
Wong, Monica – Australian Primary Mathematics Classroom, 2013. Retrieved from
2. Representing Equivalent Fractions Game http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1093248.pdf
Tucker, Stephen I. – Australian Primary Mathematics Classroom, 2014. Retrieved from http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1093248.pdf
3. Variation in Children’s Understandings of Fractions http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED566521.pdf
Fonger, Nicole L.; Tran, Dung; Elliott, Natasha – Grantee Submission, 2015. Retrieved from http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED566521.pdf
4. Fractions: The New Frontier for Theories of Numerical Development http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED552807.pdf
Siegler, Robert S.; Fazio, Lisa K.; Bailey, Drew H.; Zhou, Xinlin – Grantee Submission, 2013. Retrieved from http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED552807.pdf
5. Fun Ideas for Home! http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ802701.pdf
Australian Primary Mathematics Classroom, v13 n2 p16-17 2008. Retrieved from http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ802701.pdf
Here is another classroom website that you may find beneficial! This website includes links to other resources that you can use to help your child master the concept of fractions!