When it snows or the roads are icy, the best advice is to listen to the radio or watch the television news for notification of school closings or delays. Sign up for email notifications through www.schoolsout.com.
Emergency Weather Plans Process
- The Superintendent generally makes decision concerning early morning school closings or delayed openings prior to 5 a.m.
- An announcement is then provided to 38 radio stations and eight (8) television stations in the Washington metropolitan area. The goal is to contact the stations in time for early morning broadcasts that begin between 5 and 6 a.m.
- This information may also be accessed on the school system's web page at www.pgcps.org and/or www.schools-out.com.
- After 6 a.m., staff and parents can also access the school system's Voice Mail Bulletin Board by calling 301-952-6000. Wait for the opening message, and then press the number 1.
- Watch PGCPS TV on Comcast Channel 96 or Verizon FIOS Channel 38
When schools are closed early or all day, all evening activities are cancelled, and school buildings are not available for after-school activities by other private or public organizations. When schools have a two-hour delayed opening time, all half-day programs are cancelled
DELAYED OPENING - Start of school two hours later than the usual time.
If it is necessary to delay the opening of school because of inclement weather, dangerous road conditions, or any other emergency which might arise, an announcement will be broadcast over radio stations before 6:30 a.m., Channel 96 and other television stations, and posted on the school system’s web page -- www.pgcps.org.
Two Hour Delay - Schools will begin two hours later than normal.
- There will be NO work-study transportation. (Those students should NOT report to school.)
- There will be no half-day Early Childhood Center (ECC), or Special Education Programs.
- Any other school program requiring transportation prior to 12 noon will NOT have transportation, including Howard B. Owens Science Center
- All field trips will be cancelled.
- Food Services will offer breakfast.
• A delayed opening has no effect on dismissal time unless announced •
EARLY CLOSING FOR INCLEMENT WEATHER, EMERGENCIES, AND OTHER PROBLEMS - Dismissal of schools prior to the regular closing time
- The announcement will be made prior to 10:15 a.m., if possible.
- When the announcement is made for early closing, know your dismissal time, and immediately notify parents and staff.
- All ECC half-day students will remain in school and be transported home with the regular afternoon dismissal.
- All after-school activities and events are to be cancelled, including athletic games and practices.
- Food Services will provide lunch.