Sophomore Reading List
Each standard English class has Essential Literature that must be taught in a class room setting. In addition to the books taught in class, each student is required to read one book outside of class per semester. The book chosen must be from the list given for that semester. Each student is required to turn in an assignment that follows the format given below. This means that during the school year, each student will have turned in two journal assignments for two different books. This assignment will be due towards the end of the nine week grading period; however, it may be turned in at any time during the semester. The following projects are acceptable, but you may only use the same project ONCE.
This assignment MUST be typed.
- Facebook Profile Page: Create a facebook page for a character in the novel on posterboard. Use the character’s voice and hints from the novel to create the page. Must have the following components:
- Picture of character either drawn or printed from computer.
- Biographical information about character in paragraph format.
- Likes and dislikes. Favorite music, quotes, television shows.
- Friends list
- At least 10 wall posts between other characters in the book and your character.
- Soundtrack. Create a soundtrack on 10-15 chapters of the novel you chose. You must write a paragraph for each song explaining why your choice is relevant to the chapter. Make sure to give song lyrics as examples. You must also include at least five of the songs on a CD or saved sound byte on a flash drive.
- Symbols: Choose a symbol for 10-15 chapters of your novel. The symbol can be a color, image, or abstract idea. Explain why the symbol represents the plot and mood of the chapter in a paragraph, complete sentence description.
- Poetry Book: Create a poetry book written from the point of view of a major character in the novel. Must include at least 10 poems that cover the character’s position in the plot from the beginning of the story to the end. You also must include an explanation for the poem in paragraph format.
Total number of point: 100 pts.The grade is doubled; therefore you have the chance to make 200 points on this assignment every semester.This gives you the opportunity to raise your grade tremendously.Keep in mind, ANY FORM OF PLAGIARISM, WHETHER A PARAGRAPH OR A SENTENCE, WILL RESULT IN FAILURE OF THE ASSIGNMENT AND A PARENT-TEACHER CONFERENCE.
ANY FORM OF PLAGIARISM, WHETHER A PARAGRAPH OR A SENTENCE, WILL RESULT IN FAILURE OF THE ASSIGNMENT AND A PARENT-TEACHER CONFERENCE. DO NOT WATCH THE MOVIE AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR READING ANY OF THE BOOKS! I HAVE READ ALL OF THESE BOOKS, I HAVE SEEN ALL THE MOVIES, AND I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE!
To the Parents: Some of these books have undertones of a sexual or violent nature, or may contain crude language. These books are noted with an asterisk (*), and you may want to review them before allowing your student to continue reading the book for the assignment.
to review them before allowing your student to continue reading the book for the assignment.
1st Nine Weeks Reading List (Choose only 1 book)
*The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
*Running Man by Richard Bachman/Stephen King
House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer
Matched by Allie Condie
Divergent by Veronica Roth
DUE ON SEPTEBER 19th
2nd Nine Week Reading List (Choose only 1 book)
*Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
*Maus by Art Spigelman
American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
*Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin
DUE NOVEMBER 19th FOR ALL CLASSES
3rd Nine Week Reading List (Choose only 1 book)
Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary Pearson
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
*The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
*House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline D'Engele
DUE FEBRUARY 19th
4th Nine Week Reading List(Choose only 1 book)
*Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
Tears of a Tiger by Sharon Draper
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer
Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
Rebel Angels by Libba Bray
DUE APRIL 12TH FOR 7th PERIOD
DUE APRIL 12th