Les verbes au présent
The two verbs to be = "être", and to have = "avoir". The comprehension of the use of these two verbs is very important for mastering the French language. They are used with the past participle to make compound tenses.
The simplest way to remember which one to use is as follows:
- Most verbs are conjugated with the French "avoir" (to have)
- Verbs describing, motion and direction; and reflexive verbs for example "to wash my hair", are conjugated with the verb "être" (to be)
to be : être (present tense)
- I am = Je suis
- You are = Tu es
- He is = Il est
- She is = Elle est
- We are = Nous sommes
- You are = Vous êtes
- They are = Ils sont
- They are =Elles sont
to have: avoir (present tense)
- I have = J'ai
- You have = Tu as
- He has = Il a
- She has = Elle a
- We have = Nous avons
- You have = Vous avez
- They have = Ils ont
- They have = Elles ont
More Irregular Verbs:
practice conjugating these verbs!
Pouvoir and vouloir
- Millionaire : See if you can be a millionaire by answering questions related to "avoir" and "être"
- Millionaire : Play millionaire by answering questions using "avoir" in the present tense
- Hangman: Use expressions of "avoir"
- Hangman: Conjugations of "avoir" in present tense
- Concentration: Play concentration using conjugations of "avoir" in present tense
- Wordsearch: Find the conjugations of "avoir"
- Quiz : Choose the right verbs (avoir, être)
- Jeopardy: Review all irregular verbs in this game of Jeopardy
- Battleship: Play battleship with the conjugations of "aller"
- Millionaire: Play millionaire by using "le futur proche"
- Millionaire: Translate sentences by using "le futur proche"
aller - short music video about "aller"
avoir - short music video on "avoir"
faire - song to help you memorize "faire"
être - listen to a presentation on "être"