When writing a sentence, the verb must be conjugated according to the subject. Below is an example of how to conjugate regular verbs ending with "er".
parler 'to speak'
|je parle||nous parlons|
|tu parles||vous parlez|
|il/elle/on parle||ils/elles parlent|
Note:Je changes to j' before a verb starting with a vowel or a silent h (ex.j'adore, j'habite).
Steps to conjugation:
1. Drop the "er" from the infinitive to form the stem. (Ex. Parler = infinitive; parl = stem)
2. Identify the subject of the sentence. (Ex. Je parl__. Mes parents parl__.)
3. Write the appropriate endings. (Ex. Je parle. Mes parents parlent.)
ER Ending Verbs
ER Verbs Videos:
ER verb song: Britney Spears learns ER verbs
ER verb in France: Watch a video to learn ER verbs in a subway in Paris
ER Verbs Practice:
ER verbs pronunciation : Click on this link to listen to common ER verbs, tips on conjugations, and quizes for more practice
ER verbs powerpoint: View a powerpoint presentation on conjugating ER verbs for more practice
ER Verbs Games:
· Millionaire : See if you can be a millionaire by answering questions related to ER verbs
· Matching : Match verbs with English translations
· Jumbled Words : See how many verbs you can unscramble
- Battleship : Answer questions to sink the enemy's ship
Ir Ending Verbs
Practice conjugating -ir regular verbs!
Re Ending Verbs
RE verbs are verbs that end with an "re". Conjugating regular RE verbs are very similar to conjugating ER verbs. The only difference are the endings to the singular pronouns/ subjects. Below is an example:
|je prends||nous prendons|
|tu prends||vous prendez|
|il/elle/on prend (NO endings)||ils/elles prendent|
Note: The "s" and the "ent" at the end of the verb are silent. Do not pronounce them.
Practice conjugating -re type verbs!
|These verbs are essentially regular with slight changes.|
In the following verbs, the second to the last vowel becomes è for all conjugations except the nous and vous forms.
Practice conjugating the above verbs
More Verbs Games:
- Millionaire : See if you can be a millionaire by answering questions related to RE/IR verbs
- Jeapardy: Challenge yourself with conjugations of tricky ER and RE verbs
- Jeapardy: Challenge yourself with conjugations of tricky IR and RE verbs
- Jeapardy: Challenge yourself with conjugations of ER verbs with accents
- Concentration: Match the definitions of common verbs
LANGUAGE GUIDE - Listen and practice more verbs conjugations
Junior Verb List - A list of 100 most common verbs listed in alphabetical order from English to French
Intermediate Verb List - Download a list of over 600 verbs listed in alphabetical order in both English and French; Common verbs are highlighted
Conjugator: Help with conjugations? Type in any verb and see a list of conjugations in different tenses. Make sure you choose the CORRECT tense for your writing!