I keep six honest serving-men
(They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who.
I send them over land and sea,
I send them east and west;
But after they have worked for me,
I give them all a rest.
I let them rest from nine till five,
For I am busy then,
As well as breakfast, lunch, and tea,
For they are hungry men.
But different folk have different views;
I know a person small
She keeps ten million serving-men,
Who get no rest at all!
She sends em abroad on her own affairs,
From the second she opens her eyes
One million Hows, Two million Wheres,
And seven million Whys!
a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation.
Retirement Mornings With Dilly
WHY DO I MISS THIS?
How's Retirement Going Dilly???
And Now ...
WOW what a great year Team Arete! I hope you all had a nice transition into middle school ... don't blink it will go by in a flash. You were a fabulous group to end my teaching career with ... Thank you!!!
Leads to bad karma ... and an admonishment from Mr. D!
Go to @ Kid's Discover ... DuckPond
Read With A Purpose (No Mommy Reading)
"The Birth of the Modern World" & "The Cradle of the Renaissance"
Complete The "Black Death" Handout (4 Questions)
Study The Middle Age Timeline
THOSE WHO WERE ABSENT ... WATCH THE BBC DOCUMENTARY UP TO THE 30 MINUTE MARK
CLICK ON THE PLAGUE DOCTOR PICTURE TO WATCH!
PERSONAL COAT OF ARMS DUE TOMORROW
BYZANTINE WORD SEARCH WAS DUE TUESDAY
CLASS WORK ..............
* FEUDAL SYSTEMS
*CATHOLIC CHURCH & CATHEDRALS
FINISH Reading About The Middle Ages & Complete Assessment (open book)
* Highlights of the Middles Ages
* At the Castle
* Life of a Knight
* Life In the Village
* The Church
* Life In the City
* The End of the Middle Ages
BYZANTINE WORD SEARCH DUE TUESDAY
HAGIA SOPHIA ... Byzantine Empire
Do something special for your Mom!!
Make Sure You've Read ...
'Legacy of the Byzantine Empire' & 'Crossroads of the World'
Read ... 'Legacy of the Byzantine Empire'
Video ... Engineering An Empire ... The Byzantines
“By this symbol you will conquer.” Battle of the Milvian Bridge
Anyone who has not finished the Beginnings of Christianity Assessment needs to do so.
Complete Reading And Assessment
* The Gospel of Mark
* The Decline of the Roman Empire
* Christianity and the Two Empires
* Rome’s Legacies
Assessment: Beginnings of Christianity
MONDAY HOMEWORK was to
FINISH READING THE FIRST FOUR SECTIONS IN THE UNIT
'Christianity and Rome's Legacy'
- Religions in Rome
- The Jewish People Under Roman Rule
- Christianity’s Beginnings
- Christianity Catches On in Rome
Continue Rome Rapping Tomorrow .... Make sure you have a copy with the 8 reasons underlined or highlighted.
Make Sure You've Read & Take Some Notes On The
PLEASE Revise & Finish Roman Rap/Song ... Be Ready Monday!
Must include references to the 8 reasons for decline and fall of Rome
Read and/or Review
Life of the Rich & Life of the Poor
Romans At Play
***Assessment on Friday***
Augustus Rubber Duck
LONG WEEKEND WORK
Make sure you've finished up timeline questions, Roman Numeral sheet and the Caesar Movie questions.
Kid's Discover ... DuckPond ...READ
Life of the Rich & Life of the Poor
Romans At Play
Rest Up For Tomorrow ... Great job today!!!
Death of Caesar
ROMAN REBUBLIC TIZZ TOMORROW ... WEDNESDAY
REVIEW NOTES, TIMELINE & QUIZLET
Take the 10 question quiz!
Hannibal Barca Duckus
STUDY PICS FOR THE VISUAL LEARNERS!!!
ROMAN LAW ... Twelve Tables
Secrets To Success From Gladius Maximus
Read Section In Kid's Discover ... DuckPond
The Roman Army
**Review Notes & Timeline**
For Fun ... Most Amazing Facts About The Roman Army
Questions You Will Need To Be Able To Answer About The REPUBLIC
- How was geographic location important to economic, social and political development of ancient Rome?
- How did the government of the Roman Republic become more democratic in it’s decision making?
- Why was Rome able to conquer Carthage and then go on to extend it’s influence across the entire Mediterranean basin and much of Western Europe?
- Why did the Roman Republic fail to survive challenges by Julius Caesar?
Read the sections titled
Remarkable Rome & Master Builders.
MONDAY HOMEWORK ...
Rest Up For The Roman Republic !!!
THURSDAY HOMEWORK, per se
Research (and write down) ONE
Fascinating Fact About Ancient Rome
None, Nada, Acun, Keine
*** LATE Gadfly Essay Due by Midnight ***
TUESDAY HOMEWORK ...
... continuation of classwork
Go to Kids Discover ... Duck Pond ...
Finish Reading Alexander Builds An Empire & Read Greece's Legacy
How Great Was Alexander the Great? ... DBQ
Read Background Essay and Answer Questions.
Study Doc A, Read Doc D & E ... Answer Questions.
Total of 15 Questons
Google Classroom Code ... anu01g9 ALEXANDER ANSWERS
TURN IN COMPLETED ESSAY TO GOOGLE CLASSROOM
GADFLY ESSAY FOLDER ... Class Code 8hmj4is
FINISH UP researching and writing about an issue that you think you could affect change by being a GADFLY.
SEE ABOVE AND TUESDAY BELOW
***FINISH UP MISSING/LATE WORK***
There have been a lot of absences due to illness and trips.
Please check parent portal and make up work. (See assignments from last week below.)
Complete the 3 ?'s On The The Greek Philosophers Handout ...
For Those Making Up Greece TIZZ ... STUDY QUIZLET
Check Kids Discover Assessments To Make Sure You're Up To Date
THURSDAY HOMEWORK was...
Complete The 'Pericles Funeral Oration' Handout ...
and be able to discuss. ... click here for Handout.
Research the Ancient Greek intellectual advances across all disciplines.
(Mathematics, Science, Medicine, History, Astronomy, Theater, etc.)
List what you think are the TOP 10
1) Get slip signed by parent.
2) In 'Kids Discover' Read The Golden Age of Athens and thoroughly answer the 'THINK PIECE' discussion question.
3) In 'Kids Discover' Read 'Greek Teaching and Learning'.
In the section on Socrates, look for the quote that begins
"there was only one good, ..."
Reflect on the quote and write a couple of sentences on what you think Socrates
meant and whether you agree or not. WHY ???
4) Complete The Handout Titled ...
Questions for Answers -
Cause and Effect
IN KIDS DISCOVER READ THE SECTIONS ON
The Life of the Poor & The Life of the Rich
Read First Four Sections
SPEAK LIKE A GREEK ... Great Job !!!
More Pictures To Come This Weekend...
Possible Essay ?'s ...
1) Impact of geography on the deveopment of ancient Greece
2) The battle of Salamis
* There were some intermittent problems with the QUIZLET site that seem to to be fixed. If you can't access it focus on notes & the review study and movie guide.
We have begun watching a PBS Special called The Greeks: Crucible of Civilization.
Most of the classes are now at about the 30 minute mark.
GREEKS: Greeks The Crucible of Civilization ...WEBSITE
WORKING ON THIS IN CLASS
How reliable or trustworthy is a primary source.
How biased or one sided a source is.
You need to use background history knowledge.
Need to make reasonable inferences or logical conclusions.
ENTER CLASS CODE 7BD7D2
Then go to Duck Pond and click on assessments...
* Complete Persia Assessment ...
** A NUMBER OF YOU HAVE NOT TAKEN THE AFRICAN ASSESSMENT ... Please Do So
*** WORK ON Mediterranean Map ...
Mediterranean MAP TERMS
LIGHTLY shade in Light Blue … Label in Dark Blue
- Mediterranean Sea
- Aegean Sea
- Adriatic Sea
- Ionian Sea
- Black Sea
- Red Sea
- Atlantic Ocean
- Caspian Sea
- Straits of Gibraltar
LABEL In Black
- Asia Minor/Anatolia
- Atlas Mountains
LABEL In Red
- Italian Peninsula
- Balkan Peninsula
- Iberian Peninsula
HOW BIG IS AFRICA?
Be Able To List The 4 Noble Truths
*Finish Taking Notes On Hinduism & Buddhism
*COMPLETE THE STUDY GUIDE
EXTRA CREDIT ... Listen to this song and tell me what it has to do with what we're studying!!
GREAT BATH OF MOHENJO-DARO
DILLY LOVES THE GREAT BATHS!!!
Label The Following Places On Your Map
Bay of Bengal
IN BLACK or BROWN
Hindu Kush Mountains
China Map Terms
South China Sea
Bay of Bengal
Plateau of Tibet
YANGTZE RIVER Chang Jiang
YELLOW RIVER/Haung He
Many thanks to those parents that have completed their homework. I really appreciate the the thoughtful insights.
How Do You Eat An Elephant? A valuable lesson to learn!
SOME OF THE QUESTIONS ABOUT HISTORY WE'VE CONSIDERED IN CLASS .
* What Is History?
◦ What do historians write about?
◦ What is the past?
◦ Is it possible to include all of the past in a history book? Why or why not?
◦ How many of the events during a given time period are left out of in a history of that time period?
◦ Is more left out than is included?
◦ How does a historian know what to leave out?
◦ How does a historian know what to emphasize?
◦ How is writing history like telling a story about the past?
◦ How is writing history like gossiping?
◦ What is the difference between telling a story and simply making a list of events in a time sequence?
◦ What would be the main differences between three histories written of your life: one by your bff, one by your worst enemy and one by your mother?
◦ Based on these differences, what questions should we ask as we read any historical account?
Focus on metacognition, listening skills and the the lost art of attending!!
Return to Eden Video MESOPOTAMIA MADNESS REDUX
"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow a mystery.
Today is a gift.
That's why it's called the present!"
Dilly Dobbs Duckworth
R.I.P Dobbs Duckworth