- Understand why computers are connected in a network.
- Describe different types of networks.
- Understand the advantages and disadvantages of different network topologies.
- Understand the merits and drawbacks of wired and wireless technology.
- Be able to construct model answers to past paper questions on the topic of networks.
- Create a new powerpoint called 'networks' and save it in your computer science folder.
- A network is two or more computers connected together. In your powerpoint explain what networks are and explain the advantages of networks. One advantage is being able to share files, another is being able to share peripheral devices such as printers. Research other advantages and add them to your powerpoint.
- Find definitions of Wide area networks (WAN), Local area networks (WAN) and Wireless local area networks (WLAN) add these definitions to your powerpoint along with any appropriate diagrams you can find to help you remember.
- Find definitions of what a client-server network is and what a peer to peer network is. Add these definitions to your powerpoint along with any appropriate diagrams you can find to help you remember.
- The arrangement of a network is called the network topology. The four main network topologies are ring, star, bus and mesh. Find diagrams of each topology and add these to your powerpoint.
- Each topology has different advantages and disadvantages. Find out what these are and put them into a table on your powerpoint (There is usually an exam question asking you to give advantages and disadvantages of different topologies so make sure you get this information into your presentation).
- Continuing your powerpoint, find out what the term 'communication media' means.
- Give examples of different forms of communications media.
- Find definitions of what wired and wireless connections are. Make sure you understand the difference.
- Create a table that outlines the advantages and disadvantages are of both wired & wireless connectivity, research these on bbc bitesize or other appropriate websites.
- Copy the past paper questions below into your powerpoint. For each one use internet research to create a model answer.