A Christmas Carol: Introductory Webquest
A Christmas Carol Webquest:
1. Pick a partner. Make sure you pick someone you can count on because this assignment is due in two days. If you want to, you may choose to work alone.
2. Answer the following questions by visiting various sites on the Internet.
3. Make sure to write out the answers in full sentences. Hand in to the teacher for a grade.
1. The story takes place during the Victorian Era - a period of history from 1837-1901 during the reign of the Queen Victoria. Where is Camden Town located? Be specific. http://charlesdickenspage.com/dickens_london_map.html
2.Tiny Tim was a little boy who had an illness which made it difficult for him to walk without a crutch. What disease did he have? http://charlesdickenspage.com/christmas.html Hint: scroll down to Tiny Tim’s Ailment.
3. When Scrooge is asked to donate money to the poor, he refuses and asks, “Are there no prisons? And Union workhouses?” What is a Union Workhouse? Check out http://www.judandk.force9.co.uk/workhouse.html to get information about workhouses:
7. Back then, parlor games were played at holiday gatherings. Go to the following website and name 3 games they played and give a summary of how each is played. http://oldfashionedliving.com/parlour-games.html
8. Make sure you have written in full and complete sentences, and then go to the following website and see if you can survive Dickens' London: http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/multimedia/dickens/