INTEGRATED CHEMISTRY REVIEW FOR SEMESTER 1 MS. HUBBARD
FINAL EXAM WILL INCLUDE: 1) SOME OR ALL OF THE PODS
2) MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS
3) ESSAY QUESTIONS
IMPORTANT IDEAS TO KNOW:
- States of matter, classification of matter
- scientific method, SI units, SI conversions, density, accuracy and precision, significant figures, scientific notation, direct/indirect correlations
- Atomic theories, Dalton, laws of multiple and definite proportions, modern atomic theory, structure of atom, discovery of electron and nucleus, atomic size, atomic number, isotopes, mass , average atomic mass, conversions: Avogadro’s number, gram, mass
- Wave and particle behavior or light and electron, , ground state and excited state, Bohr model, Heisenberg, Schrodinger, quantum , electronic configuration
- History of periodic table, Mendeleev, Moseley, modern table arrangement, noble gases, periods/blocks, alkali, alkaline earth, halogens, noble gases, lanthanides, actinides, transition metals, periodic trends!: electronegativity, size, shielding, electron affinity, ionic radius; valence electrons
- Ionic vs covalent bonding, electronegativity differences determine bonding type, molecular formula, characteristics of covalent bonds, octet rule, Lewis structures, multiple bonds, resonance, characteristics of ionic bonds and metallic bonds, VSEPR, hybridization, intermolecular forces
- Chemical formulas, memorize monatomic ions and polyatomic ions charges,Stock system, binary naming, oxidation ’s
- Evidence of chemical reaction, conservation of mass, balancing equations, symbols in equations, types of chemical reactions
How should you study for this exam: 1) review your PODs every day or two. Your brain remembers best by reviewing a small amount every day, not by cramming the night before the final, 2) review the sample problems in the book and your notes (find a method that you can remember - Mrs. H’s or the book’s), 3) review your earlier tests and ask yourself what are the “big picture” questions that Mrs. H spent a lot of time reviewing and testing you in class.
Please come in before school or during lunch for extra help. I’m usually around at those times. If you’d like to set up an additional review session, get your friends together and we’ll set up a day and time after school to get ready for the final. If you get enough people together, we can do a review session for extra credit – ask me about it!