Unit 2: Matter Study Guide
My unit 2 test will be on: Friday, October 16th.
Atomic Structure: Fill in the blank.
1. An ____________ is the basic building block of_____________.
2. An atom has 3 subatomic particles: _____________ _____________ and _____________
3. The nucleus of an atom has an overall _____________ charge.4. The nucleus of an atom contains two subatomic particles:_____________ and _____________
5. The nucleus of an atom contains the most _____________ of the atom.
6. The atomic mass is found inside the _____________ of an atom.
7. Charge of a proton? _____________
8. Charge of a neutron? _____________
9. Charge of an electron? _____________
10. Electrons move freely around the nucleus of an atom in the _______________.
11. How many electrons can be in the first energy level? _____________
12. How many electrons can be in the second energy level? _____________
13. How many electrons can be in the third energy level? _____________
14. How many electrons can be in the fourth energy level? _____________
Elements: Fill in the blank.
15. An element is a _____________ substance that is made up of only_____________ atom.
16. Where can you find the elements? _________________________________
17. Each element has an ___________________ that can be used to tell the difference from other elements.
18. The atomic _____________ has a decimal in its number.
19. The element’s _____________ is an abbreviation of the element’s name.
20. The atomic number is also the same as the number of _____________ and _____________. What is the silly saying we use to remember this? _____________
21. To determine the number of neutrons in an element, you can take the element’s _____________ and subtract the _____________ to equal the number of _____________. What is the silly saying we use to remember this? _____________
22-28: Choose an element from the periodic table and identify the following below.
22. What is this Element’s name? _____________
23. What is this Element’s symbol? _____________
24. What is this Element’s atomic number? _____________
25. What is this Element’s atomic mass number? _____________
26. How many protons does this element have? _____________
27. How many neutrons does this element have? _____________
28. How many electrons does this element have? _____________
29. What is the most abundant element in the earth’s atmosphere? _____________
30. Give the symbols of each element.
31. List the most abundant elements in the Earth’s crust _____________ ___________________________________________________
32. What is the most abundant element in the Earth’s crust? _____________
33. Out of the following list of elements, what two elements are found mostly in humans? Carbon, Hydrogen, Cobalt, Sodium, Helium, Gold, Silver, Uranium, Nickel _____________ _____________
34. Where would you find an abundant amound of NaCl (salt) on Earth? _____________
35. Elements are represented by a letter, sometimes two, called _____________.
36. If a symbol is not present, an element can be identified by its atomic _____________, which is what scientists use to distinguish one atom of element from another.
Compounds: Fill in the blank.
37. Two elements chemically combined form a _____________.
38. How many atoms of Oxygen are found in the compound CO2 (Carbon Dioxide).
39. How many atoms of Carbon are found in the compound CO2.
40. What two elements form the compound NaCl? _____________ _____________
41. In the formula HO, what two elements are found? _____________ _____________
42. An element is represented by a _____________ letter, and if the element has two letter to represent its symbol, the second letter will be _____________ case.
43. The number below an element in a chemical formula or compound is called a _____________.
Atomic Structure: Label
44. Draw and label an atom: protons, neutrons, electrons.
45. The center of the atom is called a _____________ that has an overall _____________ charge.
STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDYJ