1. According to scientific evidence, the Earth is about _____________ years old.
2. Earth is the only planet known to have liquid _________ which covers about _______ of its surface.
3. Earth is the only planet known to have ____________.
4. Earth is protected from solar radiation by an atmosphere of ________________ and _______________.
5. Day and night is caused by ____________________________________________________________.
6. Seasons and the changing length of the days are caused by ______________________ and _______________________.
7. When the Northern Hemisphere is tilted toward the sun it is __________ in the Northern Hemisphere, and ____________ in the Southern Hemisphere. When the Southern Hemisphere is tilted toward the sun it is ____________ in the Northern Hemisphere, and _____________ and the Southern Hemisphere.
8. Solstice means _____________________________________________________________________.
9. The winter solstice occurs during the month of ____________, when we have the __________ amount of daylight of the year.
10. The summer solstice occurs during the month of ____________, when we have the __________ amount of daylight of the year.
11. Equinox means_____________________________________________________________________.
12. The vernal (spring) equinox occurs during ______________.
13. The autumn (fall) equinox occurs during _______________.
14. Draw the Earth in 4 positions around the sun and label the 4 seasons, equinoxes, and solstices.
15. Rotation means ___________________________________________________________________.
16. The period of rotation equals one ____________ on Earth, or __________ hours.
17. Revolution means___________________________________.
18. The period of revolution equals one ______________ on Earth, which equals ________ days.
19. Earth’s moon is a ________________ ________________.
20. The moon goes through its phases from one new moon to the next in about _____________ days.
21. The moon’s rotation and revolution are the same, about __________ days.
22. Tides are caused by the _____________________________________________________________.
When the Earth, moon, and sun line up in order, we have _____________ high tides called ______________ tides. This occurs at the _______________ and _______________ moons. Neap tides occur at the __________________ moons.
23. Phases of the Moon List the 8 phases of the moon in order. Draw a picture of each phase that correctly shows how much of the moon’s light you see.
1. 2. 3. 4.
5. 6. 7. 8.Eclipses
24. The umbra is the __________________________________________________________________.
25. The penumbra is the _______________________________________________________________.
26. Draw a picture of a solar eclipse and the parts of the shadows.
27. The moon during a solar eclipse is a __________________.
28. What is the silly saying you use to remember the line up order during a solar eclipse?________________________________________________________________________
29. Draw a picture of a lunar eclipse and the parts of the shadows.
30. The moon during a lunar eclipse is a __________________.
31. What is the silly saying you use to remember the line up order during a lunar eclipse?______________________________________________________________________________
32. The asteroid belt is located between ________________________ and _______________________.
33. List the planets in order beginning with the closest to the sun.
*Which planet has been downgraded to a dwarf planet? ______________
34. The orbits of the planets are shaped like an _____________ discovered by _______________.
35. The planet known as the red planet is ______________.
36. The planet with a large storm known as the Great Red Spot is _____________________.
37. A comet is a ball of _________________ and __________________ that comes from the________ _________________. The tail of a comet always points ___________ from the sun due to the ___________________.
38. The planet closest to the sun is __________________.
39. The planet farthest from the sun is (not Pluto) ____________.
40. The largest planet is _______________.
41. A shooting or falling star is a ________________.
42. The planet that has the greatest number of moon is _______________.
43. Planets are kept in orbit due to the interaction of ____________ and ____________.Space Exploration
45. The country to first send a satellite into orbit was the ______________ ________________.
46. The name of the satellite was called _________________.
47. The first man to go into outer space was __________________. He was from the _________ _____________.
48. The first three astronauts to travel to the moon were from the _____________ ________________.
49. __________________ was the first man to step on the moon.
50. ______________________ and ____________________ were also on his flight.
51. There are _________________ satellites that help predict hurricanes and other storms, and ___________ satellites that help ships to know their position on the sea?
52. A spacecraft sent beyond Earth’s orbit to collect information is a __________________.
54. In 1958, the first satellite launched by the United States was the __________________.
55. In the 1970’s, the United States launched the space station ______________.This study guide should be used to guide you through Unit 7’s assignments, quizzes, projects, notes, vocabulary, purple book, and any other unit related materials to help you prepare for the Unit 7 Test. Happy Studying! J