Welcome to 6th Grade Keyboarding & Computers!
This is the first of three Business Education classes you can take at the middle school level. This class is required of 6th grade students.
The most essential skills you will learn can be found in the Success Steps brochure from KUSD and are listed below:
6 Demonstrate touch keyboarding skills at 20-25 words per minute, with 90% accuracy.6 Use word processing software to compose, organize, and edit information.
6 Use the Internet to identify security issues, obtain information, and send and receive e-mail.
6 Learn the basics of Internet safety.
The Class Timeline is as follows:
3 weeks - Keyboarding
· Students will complete 15 lessons at their own pace in Microtype
· Students will compete in a keyboarding competition on the interactive white board
3 weeks - MS Word
· Students will learn how to use tools on the standard, formatting and drawing toolbars
· Students will create a “Lost” flyer
· Students will create a “comic”
· Students will create other projects using MS Word
3 weeks – Internet/Computers
· Students will learn the basics of computers – will use The Journey Inside website by Intel as well Bill Nye the Science Guy – Computers video
· Students will learn how to use the internet safely – will use i-safe curriculum as well as other sources
· Students will learn how to properly and safely use e-mail – will use Gaggle (school e-mail in which they will only e-mail other students and teachers at McKinley)
The Journey Inside http://educate.intel.com/en/TheJourneyInside/ExploreTheCurriculum/
Succes Steps Brochures – KUSD http://www.kusd.edu/departments/instructional_services/brochures.html