Hello Second Grade Families!!
We had another great week this week!
Our reading story this past week was A Walk in the Desert. We learned about some of the many plants and animals that live in the desert. We started reading rotations this week, which students really enjoyed. Make sure to ask your child about their favorite center.
This week in math we: created patterns using our names, sorted geometric shapes, drew pictures and wrote number sentences for addition and subtraction problems, and reviewed fractions.
In Core Knowledge this week we focused on learning about Minnesota, Mexico, and Canada. Students were especially interested in learning about Mexico. Review with your child who our neighbor to the north is (Canada) and who are neighbor to the south is (Mexico).
This week also marked Columbus Day on Monday and Fire Prevention Week. On Monday, we spent time learning about different perspectives on Christopher Columbus. On Wednesday, we focused on fire safety and also had the opportunity to meet a firefighter and see a fire truck.
What’s Up for This Week
· This week’s reading story is The Strongest One. This is a play based on a Zuni folktale that tells the story of what a little red ant learns about strength.
· In math this week we will be doing more work with fractions and will take our math test for the week.
· We will continue reading Charlotte’s Web this week.
· This week our afternoons will focus on fall and leaves. We will spend time exploring leaves and learning about why they change colors and fall in autumn. We will also take some time to do a very fun art project!
· Even though this is a short week we will still be having a reading comprehension and spelling test on Friday.
· NO SCHOOL this week on Thursday or Friday due to the MEA teacher conferences.
· Weekly progress reports will be sent home again this week. It is my hope that these progress reports will serve as an important communication tool between school and home. Please take the time to read them, sign them, and send them back to school with your child.
· Scholastic Book Orders are due on or before Friday, October 26. If you are interested in ordering return the order form with a cash or check made out to Scholastic.
· Keep reading 20 minutes a night for Book It! Please leave Book It calendars at home until the end of the month. On the last day of October send them back so your child can receive their Pizza Hut certificate.