Are you really helping?
It's hard to gauge and assess if what you're doing is truly helping the person living through this tragedy. The signs may be few and far between. Some simple questions to ask yourself as you help are:
1. Are they moving through the stages of grief? If yes, that's a good sign.
2. Is the student/child becoming more active in their previous activities regularly? If yes, then they are trying to return to some semblance of normalcy.
3. Are they hanging out with their friends and family again? If yes, they're working through their grief.
4. Are they doing their schoolwork as normal? If yes, then they are managing their grief well.
5. Are they opening up to someone about how they're feeling? If yes, that's the best sign of all. They're comfortable talking to someone about what they're going through.
If any of these answers were, "no," consider getting the rest of the support team involved and discussing next steps for the student. Counseling is a great option if it is not already being utilized!