You will complete this journey using the internet to explore the topic of Work & Force in Living Things.
WE WILL GO TO THE COMPUTER LAB ON THURSDAY 9/27 AND WORK ON THIS AS A CLASS ASSIGNMENT. IT'S OKAY IF YOU LOOK AHEAD BUT YOU WILL STILL BE REQUIRED TO DO THIS WEBQUEST IN CLASS.
- Go to http://www.zephyrus.co.uk/foodpuzzlechain.html and play the game on this website to build a food chain.
Go to http://www.sciencebob.com/lab/q-web-chain.html and answer this question:
- What is the difference between a food chain and a food web?
After you answer the question (2a), click on the “Experiments” tab and choose up to 5 experiments to view and list them below and write one sentence about what you saw.
- Experiment #1
- Experiment #2
- Experiment #3
- Experiment #4
- Experiment #5
After you have viewed 5 experiments, click on the “Videos” tab and choose one video to view.
- What video did you view?
- What Scientific process was being explored/explained?
- What was the outcome?
Go to http://www.cas.psu.edu/docs/webcourse/wetland/wet1/identify.html
- Look at the picture and answer the questions.
- List the organism(s) that are producers.
- List the organism(s) that are consumers.
- Draw three food chains found within this food web.
- How many different food chains can you find in the food web pictured?
- What is missing from this food web?
Go to http://www.crickweb.co.uk/assets/resources/flash.php?&file=foodchains to answer these questions. This site will lead to a “title” page. Click on the green box that looks like a food chain. After reading through the introductory page that follows, click on the “next” button in the upper left-hand corner.
- Select “River” Habitat: Write out the food chain:
- Select “Woodland” Habitat: Write down the food chain:
- Select “Seashore” Habitat: Write down the food chain:
Go to http://www.vtaide.com/pgn/foodchains.htm to answer these questions.
- In any ecosystem, there are fewer carnivores than herbivores. Why? (Your answer need to specifically include a description of how energy is transferred.)
- Why would it be extremely rare to find a food chain with nine links in it?
Go to http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/onlcourse/chm110/outlines/foodenergy.html
- As energy passes to a higher trophic level, approximately ________ of the useful energy is lost.
- What is the benefit to a society if everyone reduces the amount of meat they eat? (Use the concepts discussed with energy in the ecosystems to answer this question.)
- Go back to http://www.vtaide.com/png/foodchains.htm and scroll down until you find the “create a food web” link. Click on that link and follow the directions on the page. After you create your food web, don’t forget to put your name in the appropriate box and print the food web.
- If you have time left, after you finish all of the above – you can go to the following: http://www.neok12.com/Energy-and-Work.htm and choose any of the videos to watch and learn more.